Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Logging landing food plot

Old 12-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Spike

Default Logging landing food plot

I am planning to plant berseem clover this spring and dwarf essex rape in the fall on an old logging landing. The area had a high grass growing on it that is dead right nown. Do I cut the dead grass back and wait for it to green up in spring and then use glycophos on it before I disc or what? I don't want to till or plow because this is in the mountains and areas around the landing are very rocky. The dead grass is vey thick so I am afraid the disc won't get to the ground through it. Suggestions and advice?
Old 03-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Spike

burn it first and wait for it to grow out then use round up and till in your seed
Old 03-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

Skip the berseem this spring.

Instead, spray it twice or three times this spring/summer. Then broadcast it with the D.E. Rape seed, along with some clover later on in the summer. That same day, after you broadcast the seed, mow the dead grass, and throw some fertilzer down.

The mowing after the broadcasting, will help get the seed to to soil for good contact, and the newly cut dead grass, will help retain moisture for the seeds.

I did this last year in three or four plots, that had been basically nothing but grass/weeds for a couple years, and they all turned into good growing fall hunting plots.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

i may try this as well in a old logging road