Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

fall food plot

Old 09-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default fall food plot

due to hot dry spring to wet summer to dry fall thus far i am still trying to get in fall food plots. i planted oats last weekend and was considering planting more this weekend but would consider suggestions. i am in southern ks about 60 miles from oklahoma
Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Plant some winter rye.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 AM
Spike

I am a fledgling when it comes to food plots. What little I do know comes from here and google..... looking at my post count will give you some insight into my experience. ;-) Currently I am experimenting with my first plot. Not sure the following qualifies as 2 cents.

Oats comes up pretty quick once they get some water and seem to be preferred slightly more (depending on location) by the deer. Harsher winters will kill off oats. The winter rye should stay green through the tougher months.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I think oats or oats and clover would work best for you and will hold up until you get some very cold temps (below 15 F). Up north we go with winter rye cause we can get those cold temps before the peak rut kicks in, but oats is preferable to the deer.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by falcon
Plant some winter rye.
i agree. winter rye grain (not ryegrass) is the hardiest cereal grain. Germinates in colder temps than wheat and oats, palatable, and more winter tolerant. I think you would also have plenty of time to plant some purple top turnips also or just a bag of shot plot (available at walmart). Might not get full potential since planting so late. Looks like we are going to get a good rain tonight so maybe you can get some in the ground this weekend.

good luck
todd