Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Wormer question

Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 AM
Spike

Default Wormer question

OK, I was talking to a guy at Gander Mountain yesterday in the ammo isle and the conversation turned to food plots and deer management. He said something that gave me one of those Ah Ha moments that make you think why didn’t I think of that? I would like to know if any of you have ever tried this and what kind of results you had.

It seem he has a friend that works for one of the big high fence hunting operations and they found that by putting out cow wormer mixed in sweet feed a couple times a year they had a slight increase in body weight but had a large increase in antler growth. Now I had never though of this but it makes since to me and seems like minimal effort and cost for what could be a substation return. Yea, I know, sweet feed would put the weight on and my bear problem is going to increase substantially but in maintaining the health of the deer population it makes since to me. What do you guys think?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Spike

I think it sounds very legitamet, in cattle a dewormer will be one of the highest returns on investment even more so than vaccines. Goats are similar to deer and need to be dewormer frequently - buy a safeguard dewormer block put out camera and watch
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Spike

if your trying to work wild deer you need to get the right amount of wormer and how would you be sure that the deer came to your feed for the 2-4 days that product needed to be consumed? Things like chicory, and some brassicas have worming like properties and if deer were consumming them regularly, the odds of them benefitting deer would be greater. If your in an area where you can place deer mineral, use one with "garlic in it.....yeah, there are a couple other things you can put in your deer mineral that also will help you worm those deer but...garlic is a natural attractant for deer and has worming properties. it also is a natural fly repellent of sorts.

The deer mineral ive formulated the past 20 years has garlic in it and any pelleted/game farm deer feeds that i formulate has garlic in it for the gut health, fly repellent and worming benefits of it......