Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Help with food plot in short cold season >

Help with food plot in short cold season

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Help with food plot in short cold season

Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Spike

Default Help with food plot in short cold season

I live in north western ontario , I would like to put in a couple of small food plots... But the grow season is so short (cold). Does anyone know of a product or brand that would work in this climate ?
Any help would be great.
Thanks Aaron
Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

You could try oats, peas, peas/oats mix, winter rye, clover, and brassicas. There are several good choices for short growing seasons. Your selection should depend on site and soil conditions (aspect, light, drainage, pH, etc.), and how much work you would like to put into the plot. Small plots can get eaten down before hunting season if not well protected, so planting time (spring vs. late summer) may be another consideration.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Spike

Thanks Soilman
I plan to start mid summer, the spots were logged about 8 yrs ago. I think the drainage is good , some of it was farmed many yrs ago.
Is it a must to do a soil sample?
Have u ever heard of northern harvest products?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

A soil test would certainly be helpful, and they are inexpensive (stick with the field test, should be <$10). I would not try to plant clover without one, but you could do OK if you stuck with annual grasses (oats, winter rye, winter wheat). Oats and winter rye in a mix would be a great option to plant in late summer as you are planning. I would buy seed, fertilizer, and supplies from a local farm/garden supply store so you can ask questions and advice locally. Here are some places that do soil testing for Ontario soils http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...e/soillabs.htm

I have not heard of northern harvest products.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rape,Brassicas,Turnips and Groundhog Raddishes would be good chocies also,the Whitetail Institute makes a hard mixture called 'Winter Greens" and their "Tall Tine Tubers" is another good mixture with 3 different types of hardy Turnips.

I've used all of the above seeds/plants so far except the Winter Greens and have had great luck with them all and they hold up well into the Fall and the Turnips and Raddishes into the colder Winter months!
Old 05-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Spike

Soilman&GTOhunter thanks 4 the replys
I am going to get a sample in ... As soon as this snow melts . I wish I was joking
Old 05-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have the same concerns with last frost/snow in May and first frost in September. I used the Rack Master Superbuck, from the T.O. Bass Pro. If you are up Thunder Bay or Wawa way, your shopping choices are probably limited. All growth was slower than expected, but it was mainly the clovers that was the most noticable growth. I plan to keep working the plot by my best stand by doing some light overseeding each year so I have older and newer growth each year. Plus continuing with the salt/mineral licks in the spring and dropping apples in the fall to keep attacting them in. When the road into the camp dries soon, I am going in with the minerals to pour onto some stumps in the centre of the small food plot. Will probably over seed with Rack Master's No-Plow. If I find the Clover continues to dominate, I may try their Sweet Success or Imperials LabLab. May as well add in some variety.
To summarize, when I start a new plot, I will start with the Clover which I know will grow. Then get a small amount of something else to see what will grow as an experiment. What ever you get at Crapy Tire or which ever store you can buy from, should do the trick for your area (it probably will be mostly clover). Avoid buying on line at first, so you don't get a warmer climate version designed more for the states.

Pick a spot a keep improving it year to year.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Spike

BIGTUNA thanks for the helpful info .. The climate which I live in ,is very tough to grow anything . I have a enough seed to do 2 acres, and it says that it is designed for northern climates(clover heavy).
I also find that minerals are a cant miss,as far as use an ease.
Some of the spots r 8 yrs old, and still get used daily.