Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

PLot growing well!!

Old 09-22-2003, 08:45 PM

Default PLot growing well!!

I am located in central part of Oklahoma, and I planted my plot 2 weeks ago w/wheat, rye, austrian winter peas, alfalfa, and turnips. It is doing great. It is about 4 inches tall and has great sign already. I am just curious how all the other plots are doing and in what areas? Good luck to everyone this coming season.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:53 PM

Default RE: PLot growing well!!

planted mine 1 1/2 weeks ago. I was over at the lease this past Sun. and had very little coming up. But we got a good rain Sun afternoon and all day Mon. So , I should see some good results this weekend. Atleast I hope so. I planted winter wheat , winter rye , crimson clover , white clover and purple top turnips.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, it' s great to here from someone in my area. I played a little college ball in the OKC area too, so good luck with that. I also wanted to let you know that I just planted about a 1/2 acre plot of biologic green patch plus mix on my hunting property in the northeast part of Oklahoma and I am having the same results that you are. It' s about 6 inches tall and there are numerous tracks throughout the plot where there were none before. This is the first time I' ve planted a food plot and don' t know quite what to expect. It' s not in a necessary travel area but it seems to be drawing in the deer. In my case there are plenty of other food sources on the property (acorns and persimons). Also in relatively the same area I set up a tripod feeder that dispenses corn every morning and evening but the deer don' t seem to be showing much interest in it so far. I am curious to know just how long it takes deer to start consistently feeding in newly planted food plots and how reliable are these plots over natural food sources which in my case are an abundance of acorns and persimons.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:51 AM

planted one of my plots yesterday.put in a fall mix,purple top turnips,clover,bio-greenpatch,and rye.just mixed it all together to see what happens.I have two more to go.
we got about 3/4" rain tuesday,so I planted yesterday and got a light rain last night.so maybe iot will come up soon.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:00 AM

Just wanted to let you know that I went over to my lease yesterday and my plot is looking real good. The grasses are up 4 - 5 inches and the clover has really taken off. Did not see anything from the turnips yet. But everything else looks good. I had alot of deer tracks in and around the plot.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Bearlot, if you did not plant those grasses you need to spray them now or they will take over the clover plot, and I mean now...
Old 09-30-2003, 12:09 PM

well when I said grasses I was actually talking about winter wheat , rye and oats.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Gottcha...