Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Dunston Chestnuts

Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default Dunston Chestnuts

Where would you plant 10 to 15 Dunston Chestnuts? I am thinking along the along the edge of the field in yellow highlight area. Please share your ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Dunston Chestnuts-dunston-chestnut.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Two places ,

In the inside bend north of that narrows, or toward the end of that narrow section.

Reason I'd choose those locations is both make good locations to have a tighter muti row planting of the trees. This in turn will give better pollination & higher nut production for you.

Back when chestnuts were common trees in the east no one much hunted in oak groves. They hunted chestnut groves as they had many more deer in them. Once those trees reach a size to produce nuts in any numbers anyone hunting that property is going to want to hunt that Chestnut grove above all others.

Good luck with your planting! I've a few chestnut trees, though I need to plant more to have a good stand of them. All in good time I guess.......