Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Potting bare root trees?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Potting bare root trees?

I am going to get a couple trees in a couple month and I was wondering if it would be ok to just plant themin a pot and then when I get a chance then plant themin the ground... I'm afraid there not going to get in ground fast enough
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Yes that is fine, we go it all the time. I work for a nursery and thats how alot of potted trees come bare root and we pot them up.... Just use a big enough pot, you dont want to cut off any more roots than you have to. Fill the pot full to the top with potting soil and soak it down with water. The soil will settle 2-3 inches after a few waterings... You can even water them with fertilizer to really get them going.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Do not push a bare root tree with fertilizer. Give it a year or two to get established first unless you are in a nursery and can water on demand.

Newly planted trees trying to grow fast (fertilized) is not good.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
Do not push a bare root tree with fertilizer. Give it a year or two to get established first unless you are in a nursery and can water on demand.

Newly planted trees trying to grow fast (fertilized) is not good.
Im assuming he could water at will.... I guess i was assuming he was keeping them at his house...

Where ever your planting them chances are your gonna want to water them with a water tank if possible to help them along...
Old 03-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Spike

That thing is totally natural. It will take little time because tress has to adopt with the new place.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I sucessfully planted small bare root trees...

in the winter, before the growing season started.