Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Permanent Food Plot

Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Spike

Question Permanent Food Plot

For years I have been the hunter, like most, who tills and replants the food plot every year. But now I have come upon this fascinating idea, what about a food plot that will stay alive and flourishing for a couple years (with some attention). Is this possible? Or just the ultimate fantasy of the typical hunter. Any ideas on blends I should try?
My property:
Logging Land located in North Florida (Jacksonville Are)
Approx: 5000 acres
Plenty of sunshine and prolly too much rain.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

There is not a plant it and forget it, but I have had the same plot in Durana clover for 8 years on sandy soil, but this is not without any attention. It gets mowed a couple times per year and it gets sprayed occasionally.

You may also want to look into fruit trees. Pears, persimmons, and crabapples can be established in under 5 years. Oaks are great but slow to produce acorns. You need to keep an eye on trees too.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I'm working on the same sort of plan.

I planted white clover, then added crab apples, Bartlett pears, Macintosh apples, persimmons (I may be to far north for these, but we'll see in time & 3 types of oaks + a few hybrid chestnuts.

Yeah, kinda a grab bag.

Still mow the clover some & fertilizer each spring. BUT it's a heck of a lot less time & $$ intensive than going from scratch each year.

And so far after it's 3rd year it's doing good overall. If I were starting over, I think I'd plant no persimmons, but more chestnuts. Otherwise I'm happy so far.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

We planted several small food plots in the Durana Clover in hopes that they will last for several years.....much longer than say turnips,rape and brassicas!We put 4 small food plots in the heavy woods where the tree's were thinned out and we frost seeded a much larger 1-1/2 Acre Food Plot in hopes that the Durana Clover will flourish?

hossdaniels.....how do You like the Durana Clover,is it durable and hardy as they claim?