Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Advice please...

Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM
Spike

Default Food Plot Advice please...

I am shooting to put my fall plots in this weekend, but looking for some advice/suggestions.....

If you have 2 plots that aren't 150 yards apart from each other. One is 1.3 acres in size and the other is 2.5 acres in size.

I have Austrian Winter Peas, NWTF clover mix, and turnips and Wheat/oats.

I am in WV and I have the average farm equipment to plant, no drills or anything like that. Also I will need to do my liming off of ATV.

So, my question to you guys is: Would you plant the Peas in their own plot meaning either in the whole 1.3 acre plot, or even half of the 2.5 acre plot, then plant the clover, turnips and Wheat/oats in the remaining area?

Or would you strip it, making sure to have all options in each food plot?

Or heck just seed your peas, then come back over and seed in your clover, turnips and Oats right on top of the peas. Then you have a salad bar in every foot....

My only concern with all in one would be that the plants will choke each other out.

Please put your two cents in...........

1.3 acre is a horseshoe shape and more shaded, though still open
2.5 acre is more like a tear drop or even rectangle shape and open field.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Typical Buck

4 acres of lime on an atv is not impossible, but extremely unlikely. I haven't seen your soil test but you probably need anywhere from 2-10 tons of lime if you need any at all. Get a lime truck out there.

Your mix should work together, just go easy on the turnips. Keep them under 2 lbs per acre to avoid shading out the other stuff.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mix my plots seeds together, I do agree with hoss easy on the turnips.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't mix them all do a half n half or strips.The lime you put down now will do you no good this fall but should help next spring.If you mix every thing be very carefull not to over seed....
Old 09-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Spike

In my experiences, with lime that is, i wouldn't waste the time or the money. you are not trying to make money off of production. with lime you have to put on over a ton a acre to see decent results. so i guess what i'm saying is not to worry about the lime unless your soil tests are really bad. your local coop or feed store will beable to help you with that.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

did you get a soil test?
if not, you have the cart before the horse.
might not need any lime at all...we thought we would, turned out some trip 13 was all we needed as per a soil test.
after the soil test results come back, go to the fertilizer place and ask them what you would need to do to the soil to plant:
1. turnips....per say..he will tell ya to add a lil of this.
2. clover..... he might say to get it away from turnips because the turnip fertilizer will burn the clover.(per say folks, not literally)
3. wheat....he might say put it with the clover..
and so on
anyway, hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd put the Turnips,Wheat and Oats in the smaller food plot,then put the Peas on 1/3 of the larger food plot and the Clover on the last 2/3 of the plot!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Spike

So eerdog...what did you end up doing?