Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

RR food plot mix????

Old 05-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Spike

Default RR food plot mix????

Is there any seed manufatuers that have roundup ready products other than corn soybeans and alfalfa. i would really like to find something else to use to give our deer some other options. any input would help. thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

I use rr corn and beans together all the time. The best mix of nutrition and attraction I've ever used. White clover can take a light dose of gly and shake it off if you know what you are doing, but technically is not rr. If you keep beans and corn standing all year with a few clover plots, you are covered (at least for 99.9% of people).

And about the clover and rr, I really prefer to use the right chemical for the job. Grass is easily cleaned up for under $10/acre and broadleaf weeds are normally controlled by mowing a couple times a year.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Spike

Default In short, no

At this point, only corn, alfalfa, and soybeans have been bioengineered as rr. However, like previous poster said, clover is tolerant of light doses. Rape is more tolerant than I'd like it to be. It sticks around my rr soybean plots all year. Deer love it so i dont get too worked up, but I've found that round up hardly touches the stuff.

Maybe I've bioengineered a new rr resistant variety. I might be a millionaire and not even know it
Old 06-11-2015, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a few varieties of perrenial clovers that are recommneded for your area. There are selective herbicides that can be used to control unwanted grasses and broad leaf "weeds". You can use a 40% Glysophate product, but only in a light doseage up to 1% max. But why run the risk of wiping out the clover when the selective hebicides work great, are simple to apply and are not all that expensive.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Spike

whitetail institute has some seed varieties that are resistant to certain herbicides but are not labeled RR