Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What For A Old Logging Road?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Default What For A Old Logging Road?

What would be good to plant in a old logging road?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mostly up here we plant white clover if it is by hardwood trees. If it softwood trres it wood be hard to keep it growing due to the amount of acid it will get from the needles.

The white clover normally will not get you results in the first year however.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

i would say to just use some throw and grow mix if this is for the season. For now clover would work im sure. We do plant a lot of logging roads where we hunt but its mostly just to get the deer to stop before the get across the roads and into the nasty short pines. That one last nibble of grass is fatal :P
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

2nd vote for clover. it works great because it last a few years, you can drive over it and it springs back and the deer love it! underrated in my book. i've shot more deer over clover on logging roads than any other food plot. i'm staring at a buck on my wall that i shot over clover on that same logging road. haha.