Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

new at food plots

Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Spike

Default new at food plots

im new at food plots im looking for something i can put down with out tilling or plowing cause of the location of the plot it has plenty of sun but i need it to be low maintenance because of gas prices any suggestion's on what to buy
Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Spike

Well you don't mention where this plot is located geographically or what soil type. Kinda need them to know. Consider clovers for easy maintenance and the ability to throw and grow.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Spike

l
yeah i wish they had a think like this on this half of the state
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Spike

What kind of soil do you have? Clay? Sand? How big is the plot going to be?

If soil is anything other than sand you can consider small grains, clovers, turnips, lots of things. Have a soil test done and make amendments to soil. Spray about 3 weeks before seeding with GLY or RU. After complete chemical burndown, rake up the ground to loosen top soil, broadcast seeds, then lightly rake a second time. The final step is either pack or seed just before a minimum of 1/2 inch rain.