Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I need a good mineral site???

Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

The best lick i have used is a one I mixed myself. the recipe is pretty much all over the internet. two 50 lbs bags of Salt, a 50 lbs of Trace mineral, and a 50 lbs bag of dicalcium phosphate. I also put a bag of black magic in the mix just to make it smell a little louder so they can find it quicker... these are pretty cheap cause you can make multiple licks, based on how much you want to put out at each site. you can get all these ingredients (save maybe the black magic) at any feed store. Run you around fifty bucks total and i made 4 sites with this much. For a lil over 12 dollars a site thats aint bad. I usually refill my sites about 1 every 8 months or so.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Spike

Default RE minerals for deer

Originally Posted by THG_Scotty
We have used Lucky Buck for 5+ years and have seen great results. They guarantee bigger racks or your money back.

Their website has a lot of good information. This is straight from their website.

Why Does Lucky Buck Mineral Supplement Have So Much Salt?

Is Salt Bad?

Can you name more than one animal species on earth that has health problems related to excess salt? If there is one, other than humans, I have never heard of it. The reason WE have a problem is because we mix it with our soft drinks and cover the taste with high fructose corn syrup. Then we add it to every other thing we eat like fries, chips, pop corn, steak, chicken, etc. If we did not add salt to any of our food and just had a bowl on the table and took a few licks out of it when our bodies craved it, we would not over eat salt either. We would consume the correct amount for our bodies needs.

Does Salt Grow Antlers??

As my competitors are quick to point out, salt does not directly improve antler size. However it is the best way to get the things that do influence antler growth in to the deer. It is the mode of transportation I use to get extra calcium and key trace minerals into the deer at the right rates and the right time for improving antler growth.

Why Does Lucky Buck Mineral Have Two Thirds Salt?

As a nutritionist I can not begin to formulate an aggressive nutritional program unless I know consumption levels. I have asked many of my competitors how much of their mineral they expect the deer to eat. I have yet to get a single response that makes any sense! Usually they think for a minute and come up with an answer like the more the better! WRONG ANSWER! If I am paying $35 per bag for this mineral it is really the wrong answer; and if I were the nutritionist that was trying to formulate it, that's not a good answer either. For example, if it is only possible for a deer to healthily eat 5 oz of an ingredient, I have to formulate Lucky Buck for this level other wise it could be harmful to the deer. Selenium is one example. It is toxic if you feed to much. Most minerals are formulated for a very high consumption rate which means they have very low concentrations of some of the key ingredients like selenium. When most of the deer do not consume these levels the effectiveness is minimal!

Lucky Buck Mineral has a very small variability in consumption because of its salt level. The deer are aggressively drawn to it, but then can not over eat on it. For a deer to eat 5 oz of Lucky Buck mineral per day would be like you eating a whole bowl of salt that I offered you right now! You would not eat it or if you were foolish enough to try, you would not come back and eat it again tomorrow.

I believe I can accurately tell how many deer are on your property if you tell me how many pounds of Lucky Buck you fed in a year--as long as they never run out and it is their only salt source. It is this kind of control over intake and aggressive levels of other minerals that makes Lucky Buck Mineral the most effective deer mineral on the market. Just give it a try, if you can't tell the difference in antler size, I will give you your money back!
Ok young man here is a question for you. Tell us as you said your great results. Is it trail cam pics? as results.Have you done a bone densitity, X ray or any type of research to support the product producing big bucks? In a high fence area where you may have great genetics to start off with and in a controled enviorment you will get lots of camera pics.Yes they ofer a money back product.If you dont see a difference in 2 years ?? Now also being a nutritionist( cervid ) That means deer, and raising deer for nutritional research for 17 years now I can tell you what a deer needs in his digestive metabolic makeup to make a difference. Yes I read their tag lines before and the questions they ask on the site are not answered with the correct answers.Its marketing and sales pitches. I see guys at outdoor shows each year with replica 200+ antlers trying to pass them off as real and saying the product was responsible for growing that buck. When you ask these sales guys at shows about why there is no needed elements and low levels of trace elements I get so many different answers each time.The best one was when asked why there is no Phosphorus in the product the reply was, Well deer get all they need from the ground or from what the farmer plants in the fields.???And when asked tech questions or health and nutrition questions directly related to how the product ad its components are metabolised in the deers system ,I have yet been able to get a answer.They are sales guys at these shows trying to make a fast buck.If this was a top shelf product that directly related to producing better quality deer alot of the top deer farms would be buying it.Bottom line Lab Test prove the whats quality and whats not in products we use today.Look at trophy rock for example 96% salt and offers no real health or nutritional gains, but they have great marketing and just because a deer comes to it and the guy is getting 200 pics a week its automatically the best deer mineral around, There again Legal wording, you can call any mineral a deer mineral if the deer consumes it.Every few years we will always see someone come out with a product that claims its the #1 deer mineral in the world. Legally you can call any element mined from the earth a deer mineral if the deer consumes it. Calcium will not work correctly with out phosphorus in deer and thats a proven fact.A deers skeletal system grows continually for 3.5 years. Thats why in bucks they really do not get their first set of good antlers till they reach 3.5 years old. 60% of the buck DNA comes from the doe and you need to concentrate on your does health more tha just bucks alone.You need a product that will help produce high milk production, milk fats and help build up antibodies in fawns and also help in building an imune system in deer alltogether.A product that replenishes calcium depleation from the skeletal system when bucks are going into hard antler.I have looked at many blood and fat samples over the years and have went to preserves or a farm and seen deer with busted up racks and in each case when the buck was taken a blood test and bone study from a rib and upper spinal colume shower Calcuim defficency,next was Phosphorus, K,manganese,magmesium, etc Low selenium rates also show up. When we look at the feeds,minerals,management program it was 92% feed source related in a captive enviorment that lead to some of the health or nutrition problems. Im attaching real time data on some products here for everyone to see in whats in alot of the products you can buy over the shelf and whats really needed to be a total and complete product that really are true deer minerals. Note I did not have enough room to include Massive Rack data from Wisconsion as it along with Mass Nutrition is also one of the only true deer minerals that are complete and species specific and designed for deer by cervid nutrition professionals.I hope the scale I have attached below will help everyone out and answer alot of questions related to whats needed in a product to really make a difference in your deers overall health
Attached Files

Last edited by Mass Nutrition Inc; 05-12-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: ,
Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Spike

These are just a few pics of mineral licks from 2011. We have a lot of happy customers for our 2nd full year. Its time to get it out.....Good Luck on what ever brand you choose.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

where can you find this nutra deer stuff? tractor supply? thanks for any info.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got information from Auburn U. on supplemental minerasl for deer. I was looking for something that would be of value to the deer and attract them as well, and not cost em an arm and a leg. Here in Alabama only white salt (100% NaCl) can be used as a mineral atractant.

Here's the mix I use in the licks. I get all of these minerals at the local feed-seed supply and mix it myself. All of these are in bags and in a "powder" form. These prices are apprioximate/50# a couple of months ago when I put out the 2012 spring stuff ... 100% white salt ($6), di-calcium ($20), hi-calcium dairy supplemental mix ($17). I mix the about 1 part to 1 part to part.

I usually put about 50# of this mix in each of the 15 areas that I have created on the 3150 acres that I hunt. I put this out as soon as I can after the season. And refurbish around mid June. Just before the season, I will put a bag of pure NaCl in the licks. I usually put about about 1500# or so/year. Some of these lick areas have been dug into so much that they are nearly as deep as a small deer is tall.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigmster127
where can you find this nutra deer stuff? tractor supply? thanks for any info.

www.NutraDeer.com

We are not vendors of Tractor Supply yet. Thanks for asking.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure about a lot of this stuff or how healthy it really is for the deer. What I do know is that the deer here are hard to get to come to much of anything. I have had some great success so far this year using Lucky Buck. I know that corn and oats will not draw them. I also know that a salt lick does me no good as well. I have tried a mineral rock and recieved no luck with it. The deer up this way act different with this stuff. With that Lucky Buck it took them a little over a month to come into it. So for me anyways I am sticking with what is working.. Right now the bucks are starting to grow the antlers so I am waiting to see if any show up. I currently have 6 or 7 deer showing up on it. This is great up here in my area where the deer numbers average just slightly over 1 per square mile. I also have a couple of moose showing up and had 1 bear as well.

I am glad it is just salt that draws these different animals in with it..

This last one here I really do not want hanging around though. It is nothing more than a predator and I had them brake my trailcam once..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-15-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I've tried Lucky Buck and all the others. If you take into account the salt levels, what they cost, and how the deerr use them there is nothing that works better than the 3006 mineral. I use the plus Protein formula. It only has 15% salt. If I wanted a bag of salt I would go to the Sams and buy salt.

To say that Lucky Buck adds more salt to get more mineral into the deer is BS. Must be another salesman.

The only one that beats lucky buck with BS is the tropy rock. They claim all the minerals a deer needs and when I looked at the tag it was 99% salt. Get real and dont waste an old mans money.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

who makes all this stuff and can you find it at tractor supply? thanks for any info.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

who makes all this stuff. the dicalcium phosphate and the trace mineral?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.