HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   I need a good mineral site??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/362968-i-need-good-mineral-site.html)

Buckmasterflex 04-24-2012 02:09 PM

I need a good mineral site???

I've never really used mineral sites before and I'd like to get into it and I'm wondering what is a good mineral lick for deer. I plant food plots and do quaility deer management so I'm looking for another way to may my herds healthy?

THG_Scotty 04-25-2012 09:55 AM

I use Lucky Buck. It is apple scented and attracts deer to it, but they won't over consume it. Great stuff, especially if you want to put a camera on it. I get tons of pictures every week.

MUZZY 100 04-26-2012 01:50 PM

Whitetail Institute 30-06. I started this last year and the deer have a hole in the ground the size of a bath tube dug down 12 inches.

hossdaniels 04-26-2012 05:57 PM

Mine is a little more potent than 30-06, 50% more phosphorus which is the greatest natural deficiency, at least in the south. There are a couple other good minerals out there. Just know what you need. You mostly need calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium.

Any salt based mineral will attract them, dont fall for "they hit this stuff good".

I'd love for you to try some. I'll ship you 40lbs for a reasonable price.

My product page: http://bioplots.com/Mineral_supplement_deer.php

Tips for use (works for mine or others) http://bioplots.com/deer_mineral_guide.html

jake_ 04-27-2012 11:58 PM

You could use a block or a powder form. Click the link in my signature. Good luck.

Phil from Maine 04-28-2012 04:37 AM

Up here the deer are very nervous and something new takes a long time before the deer will come to it. I have tried oats, cracked corn, some of that acorn stuff, and a lot of other stuff without much luck. I am now using Lucky Buck powder form that is apple scented as mentioned above. It has taken around a month and a half but the deer has started coming to it. So I have decided to stay with what has been now working for me.. I have a few trailcam pics in the trailcam forum and will be replacing my batteries shortly. I am also planning on setting some of this out in another area with my other trailcam before long.. Good Luck with what you decide..

backwoods13 04-29-2012 09:27 AM

hello buckmasterflex thanks for checking us out on facebook, we should have your mineral out this week.. I think you will be very happy with it.. thanks

Mass Nutrition Inc 05-04-2012 04:49 PM

RE deer minerals and making a good choice

Het bud here is some info for you to review on some of the mentioned products. First luck buck is 65% salt,only 13 % cal and 0 phosporus, 0 sodium,0 magmesium,0 potassium,0 sulferas for remaining elements they are in small trace amounts and selenium is at 59 ppm a little to high for whitetails and No Vitamin A only 5000 iu/ lb on D and only20 IU/lb no remaining needed vitamins at all. Its a sweet apple flavored salt. calcium needs phosporus to work together. Whitetail institute and antler king are alon the same line together with 42% salt and 21% on Antler king. but all remaining macro/micro nutrients are low and not in sinc with each other . These type of products are very cheap to make and offer the manufacturer as much as 300% profit mark up. the deer and the consumer are getting shorted. Atrue deer mineral needs to be species specific meaning its designed for a deer metabolisim and digestive physilogy. I want to see the lab test that will show a product thats 60% salt low in calcium and no phosporus and no other needed elements grow monster buck or produce high milk and milk fats for does.Most companies use calcium citrate or calcium carbonate( tums ) and its only about 19% absorbtion rate. The Mass Nutrition line is designed by deer health and cervid nutrition professionals and offer the most complet and comprehensive line of deer and elk mineral thats truly designed for their digestive physilogy. Calcium is calcium orotate and is at 80% absorbtion rate and is complete and balanced in all macro/micro nutrients in the highes needed levels for deer and elk.also contains a full probiotics and digestive enzyme pack and also a anti parasitic for aiding in the removal of intestinal parasites and liver flukes. The cheap sweet flavored high salt products will be consumed fast. This is what the company wants. Its price first and quality last. the average consumption of minerals by adult deer will be around 2 to 3 oz per day durring spring and summer if its a quality product. If you want to know about deer health and nutrition give them a call at 919-886-7122 and the folks at Mass Nutrition will be glad to answer you health and nutrition needs. I hope this bit of info helps out in making a informed decision on products that work for you. thanks and have a great evening.

RackLuster 05-04-2012 10:30 PM

i've tried a lot of mineral licks. lots. and i put cameras over all of them at once just to see what gets hit the most. i can't tell you what's the most beneficial but one thing i can tell you for sure (in my areas) is that nothing beats a 50lb salt block. the only thing that got me more pictures was a trophy rock but salt lasted way longer and cost 1/3 as much as a trophy rock.

one funny thing was i had a big apple flavored salt block once and got no pictures of deer. the only pictures i got were some cows (no farm in less than a mile from my place so i was shocked to see cow pictures). kind of funny.

THG_Scotty 05-10-2012 06:56 AM

We have used Lucky Buck for 5+ years and have seen great results. They guarantee bigger racks or your money back.

Their website has a lot of good information. This is straight from their website.

Why Does Lucky Buck Mineral Supplement Have So Much Salt?

Is Salt Bad?

Can you name more than one animal species on earth that has health problems related to excess salt? If there is one, other than humans, I have never heard of it. The reason WE have a problem is because we mix it with our soft drinks and cover the taste with high fructose corn syrup. Then we add it to every other thing we eat like fries, chips, pop corn, steak, chicken, etc. If we did not add salt to any of our food and just had a bowl on the table and took a few licks out of it when our bodies craved it, we would not over eat salt either. We would consume the correct amount for our bodies needs.

Does Salt Grow Antlers??

As my competitors are quick to point out, salt does not directly improve antler size. However it is the best way to get the things that do influence antler growth in to the deer. It is the mode of transportation I use to get extra calcium and key trace minerals into the deer at the right rates and the right time for improving antler growth.

Why Does Lucky Buck Mineral Have Two Thirds Salt?

As a nutritionist I can not begin to formulate an aggressive nutritional program unless I know consumption levels. I have asked many of my competitors how much of their mineral they expect the deer to eat. I have yet to get a single response that makes any sense! Usually they think for a minute and come up with an answer like the more the better! WRONG ANSWER! If I am paying $35 per bag for this mineral it is really the wrong answer; and if I were the nutritionist that was trying to formulate it, that's not a good answer either. For example, if it is only possible for a deer to healthily eat 5 oz of an ingredient, I have to formulate Lucky Buck for this level other wise it could be harmful to the deer. Selenium is one example. It is toxic if you feed to much. Most minerals are formulated for a very high consumption rate which means they have very low concentrations of some of the key ingredients like selenium. When most of the deer do not consume these levels the effectiveness is minimal!

Lucky Buck Mineral has a very small variability in consumption because of its salt level. The deer are aggressively drawn to it, but then can not over eat on it. For a deer to eat 5 oz of Lucky Buck mineral per day would be like you eating a whole bowl of salt that I offered you right now! You would not eat it or if you were foolish enough to try, you would not come back and eat it again tomorrow.

I believe I can accurately tell how many deer are on your property if you tell me how many pounds of Lucky Buck you fed in a year--as long as they never run out and it is their only salt source. It is this kind of control over intake and aggressive levels of other minerals that makes Lucky Buck Mineral the most effective deer mineral on the market. Just give it a try, if you can't tell the difference in antler size, I will give you your money back!