Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plots vs native

Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default food plots vs native

i was talking to a local wildlife and parks biologist about improving my habitat for deer. he is real hung up on grass and weeds and no food plots. he feels like the weeds and their seeds provide year round nutrition where the food plots are more of a fall and winter source. keeping in mind that i am in the middle of ag country and should have plenty of feed around he got me wondering. one place has plenty of cover and not much ag crops close to the cover. probably only 80 acres in the 640 acre section. my other property is in grass land with very little ag fields within any distance. i still feel like i could hold deer better with more crops. any suggestions on what to plant for year round or do you plant several smaller areas with different crops for different times of year in each one?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Spike

I would for sure try something. I would plant a few small spots and See what the deer like and go from there.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Spike

KWR, here is my experience, make your own judgement. What is in most of our CRP that deer eat? Most CRP is considered good bedding. Making CRP retain species which deer prefer may just be more time consuming than making a supplemental feeding location causing a minimal disturbance in bedding cover.

I can plant food plots that provide year round diet supplementation with varieties of palatable deer food. Because deer will eat more of their natural browse than food plot offerings, I am not trying to give them a full diet from my food plots, but another food source to choose from when the natural browse is slim or just as "candy" .

Not knocking what the biologist told you. Take that information and put it to use where ever you can but just don't give in to the notion that food plots are not needed. Just keep the plots in perspective.

As far as what to plant, try this on. Central plot with 10-20% in white clover and the remaining split half with a mix of Winter rye, spring wheat, Austrian Winter peas, red clover, and ground hog radish. The remaining half planted in mix of purple top turnips dwarf Essex rape, and ground hog radish. In spring the cerial grain mix will grow a red clover crop. Plant the brassica mix side the following spring with winter rye and crimson clover. In early fall, rotate the cereal grain and brassica areas.

If this sounds good check this link out it is full of good info on this rotation.
http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=505

Last edited by Smallplot; 02-28-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like your biologist doesn't know as much as he should.Not all food plots sre fall winter food? Small plot has some great info.I would do a mix of CRP grass-little,big blue stem and some indian grass and put your food plots in where the crp will help draw the deer to your plots. I dont think you can ever go wrong having a food plot or 2..just my 2 cents
Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like your biologist doesn't know as much as he should.Not all food plots sre fall winter food? Small plot has some great info.I would do a mix of CRP grass-little,big blue stem and some indian grass and put your food plots in where the crp will help draw the deer to your plots. I dont think you can ever go wrong having a food plot or 2..just my 2 cents
Bingo!!!
At one place we have 160 acres of bluestem: We have some of the best grass in OK; so do our neighbors. In a situation like this, game plots and good cover bring the deer and turkeys to your place.