Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

new food plot

Old 12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default new food plot

Just bought new house w/20 acres. Plan on putting in two 1/4 acre plots for next year. Not interested in grain. Soil is clay, and heavy springs tend to saturate ground, especially with all the rain we've had the past three months.{ 14+ inches}. Gets reasonable amount of direct sunlight. Any suggestions? Would like some kind of " no till ", as access to equipment is limited. I've thought of turnips for late muzzleloader. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

You really need to get a little dirt turned up to have the plot that you want. But keep in mind that your seed only has to be buried no deeper that the width of the seed. So clover, rape, and turnips would all probablt work. But your safest bets are wheat, oates and rye. I understand that you don't really want the grains, but with no access to turn up the dirt, the grasses are your best option.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

crimson clover grows in sand/clay. Been thinking about using it in Southern Colorado. Poor soil here LOL.