Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

making a new food plot

Old 12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default making a new food plot

guys new to the site
this is my first go at a food plot and i have some questions
I have only timber but i found a spot in the timber i plan to clear out mostly use a skid steer and push over small trees so i don't have to worry about the stumps. this is gonna be hard work but we have big and plenty of deer just need to draw them on to our property they seem to only travel through the area at night. Im not sure if this will work and I'm not sure what to plant I'm thinking clover because the field close by will be corn.
any suggestions please let me know
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Spike

What part of the country are you located in? Clover is great late spring, summer and fall. Low maintenance and will grow almost anywhere with little prep. We plant this along field edges. Deer love it and it's quieter to walk on then normal weeds. Help when slipping into stands. In colder climates brassica (rape) is great! Once it frosts it release a sweetness in the plant the deer love. Same with your tubers such as turnips. Oats are always a hit and grow well in low sunlight locations. Stay away from rye grass as it is extremely invasive. And I always plant a small 1/2 acre section with alfalfa. Do your research on what grows well in your climate and nutrition values. And if you have a local QDM co-op get with them and alot of times they can help you out with discounted seed. And if you are planting anything other than clover I would have a soil test done. This makes it a piece of cake when figuring out the right ratios of feeralizer and lime. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Spike

Also if your having problems holding deer cover is #1. Without cover they may still only visit your plots at night. High grassy areas are great also clearing out your woods and leaving the tree tops. Be selective in your cutting. If you have hardwoods contact a lumber company and you make be able to make some good $ in the process.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Spike

I'm located in southern Illinois. Thanks for all the help I'm leaning towards clover now
Old 12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Spike

Can't go wrong with clover. Try a little section of brassica or turnips though. Atleast around here the deer get in them big time once the snow flies. It's a great draw once all the clover is dead or snow covered. Also if you get a perennial clover you can get away with only planting every three years or so.