Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 What brand ATV recommended for food plots? >

What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

Old 08-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

C9, how much are the Griz 660' s?
Old 08-14-2003, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just checked into their cost at one website, and think they are around $7,200.

Lunchbucket, do they sell mowers for ATV' s?
Old 08-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Spike

I have a 02 grizzly 660 and a 5*6 trailer, I load the trailer up with my disc ( home made about 400lbs), a seed spreader, a 4*6 piece of fence, lime, fertilizer, seed, and a cooler full of drinks, and sometimes a buddy or two. I can surely tell it is there when all loaded up but I have never had any trouble geting were I' m going. I also use it to disc in the swampy area' s of our pasture. I am thinking about getting a pull behind mower as well. As for price you get what you pay for. As for the rubucon I don' t think it could handle the load as well as the grizzly, but it is better in deap water(3ft +) because the griz is belt driven and the honda has a trans. no mater what you get make sure it have a fan and some type of cooling system or you won' t be able to do any type of food plot work other than spreading seed. Just my opinion, hope this helps you. By the way a disc that will actually work the soil behind a fourwheeler cost $600 +++. the ones cheaper than that barely scratch the ground.

Got any ??? about the grizzy fire away.
Hit em in the engine room, Gabe
Old 08-14-2003, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Minnesota you can buy Yamaha Grizzly 660 for around $6300 to $6600 depending on if you want camo or not. Winches are expensive but worth it about 450 to 500 installed. I' ve been seeing some good prices on polaris Sportsmans - 500 is about $5600 the 600 is about $6000 and a 700 is about $6400. These Polaris' s are not camo.

Someone commented about discs not working well. They' re very right! Some won' t even scratch the surface. The ground you have may or may not be able to be effectively disced with an ATV disc. If is hard or has a real deep root structure it pretty tough to disc virgin field the first time. You may need to have a local farmer disc it for you the first time. Then the ATV disc seems to take care of business each year just fine.

One other comment I forgot to throw in earlier. Don' t buy a 2 stroke ATV. They fine but not for what you' re doing.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw you asked about mowers for ATV' s. Yes, they sell them, they work quit well but are pricey ($1400 - $2000). If your thinking about mowing your ATV trials, they work great. I cut mine once in a while but I much perfer to use my disc on the trails. It keeps them really clean and you can really see deer tracks, crossing trails, and track size.

Good Luck
Old 08-17-2003, 02:10 AM

I' m suprised that no one has chimed in with what is the usual answer when this question is asked, and what I consider the best advice.

An ATV is not a tractor, it will not do what a tractor will do, they' re designed for different purposes. The toy ATV implements are marginal at best and put a lot of stress on your expensive ATV. Trying to plant decent food plots with an ATV and the little discs that they pull is an exercise in frustration, they' re not big enough for the job. Buy yourself a decent used tractor, which can be found for $3000 with a disc if you look hard. Use the remaining money to buy a 350 size ATV which will get you around the woods just as well as a larger one costing $2000 more. Now you' ll have the best of both worlds, a tractor for heavy work and an ATV for getting into the tight spots. Both will be suited for the jobs they' re supposed to do and you won' t have to worry about trashing your $7000 ATV by trying to make it into a tractor. Plus, you' ll have properly prepared food plots to boot.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:35 AM

Boltman...well said!

Condiser a JD 420 or a Ford 8N...old but restored and workable will cost 3500...a brush hog and a small disc....cheap
Old 08-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

boltman; the same is true of lawn tractors. You can spend thousands on attachments but when you use them it' s like operating a toy compared to a full sized tractor.

Dan O.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boltman is really correct. We use a small tractor whenever possible. For breaking new turf the tractor is the real ticket. I do think that the ATV is great for general stuff. Spreading seed, fertilzer, mowing and general trail maintenance.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:24 PM

Like they say, find a tractor. I found a MF 135 diesel and 14 pieces of equipment. An old farmer was banned from his tractor by his doc when he started to have dizzy spells. I had to buy all, he wouldn' t sell part. My only addition was a 5 foot PTO tiller. Cost 2500 bucks, new, but worth every cent. Gardens, fields and food plots. It goes slow, but usually one pass does it all. I discovered one advantage, the tiller actually will push the tractor through swampy ground where it is impossible to go with a disc.
If I had a big enough tractor, The Rice farmers in East Arkansas near Memphis sold a bunch of 8 foor tillers at auction and they went cheap. They used them in their Rice paddies. Requires a 60hp. tractor to work one of those.
Russ

Quick Reply: What brand ATV recommended for food plots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.