Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need Food Plot Advice

Old 07-23-2011, 07:21 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Need Food Plot Advice

I have about a 1/2 acre piece of field that I paid a farmer to disc up for me a few weeks ago. He said it was too wet to till up as of two days ago but today it is raining heavy so this clay will again be way too wet. I have a feeling that I will have no food plot if I keep waiting since there will always be another big rain to soak down my heavy clay. So what I am thinking is to get an ATV drag harrow when things dry up again and then plant, not bothering with the deep tilling. What do you think?

I think perhaps my best strategy for new plots is to also get an ATV tow-behind disc to cut up the top soil and then hitting this with a drag harrow after it drys up a bit. Also, I would kill all existing growth with Roundup before disking and also hit with a follow up after disking and maybe even after dragging.

What do you think?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

What are you planting? It seems very early to be planting fall green fields, but you are in a colder climate than I'm familiar with. I would opt for waiting for a few dry days and prepare the plot for planting rather than jumping the gun.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:55 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Planting a perennial Trophy Clover mix by Antler King. Yes, our growing season is short. Heavy killing frosts are not uncommon in early October. We ended up getting about 3/4" rain so far today, so with some dry weather we still may get this done. I will wait for now, but if I foresee heavy rainy weather coming and this does not get plowed up, I will rake it over with a drag harrow.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

MKZ
I have had success planting clover mixtures without digging deep.
I had to clear about 2 acres of red ossier dogwood field, go with a rototiller just enough to expose the soil and when there is forecast of rain for 2 to 3 days I hand spread the seeds.
Clover seems to grow just about anywhere even on some shady spots.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Spike

If I were going to turn it under or till I wouldnt spray. If you spray you can broadcast on top but you will have a waiting period whatever the herbacide recommends.

Sounds like youre getting alot of rain...glad someone is!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

If it has already been disked up well enough that the grass is gone then I would go ahead and drag and plant. It's difficult to answer your question not being able to see the plot, but being in Wisconsin I would say that your planting time may be running short.

I've planted clover plots in suspect conditions in the past and they have done well if they get enough moisture after planting. If grass comes up in it in the spring you can hit it with some herbicide.