Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Questions about new plot

Old 10-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Questions about new plot

I have about a football field area I just cleared with a Cat 315 excavator...pulled all the stumps, brush and what ever. But I really can't get the property "smooth" I have spent a lot of time and it looks good but its got "mini moguls" everywhere...Really need a dozer to smooth it out. I use the york rake with the Kioti tractor to try and even it out a little bit more but still not flat. Any other suggestions or am I being anal?
>>>>one other point<<<<<
I have to really give credit to those farmers a hundred years ago doing their clearing with a horse. It must have taken years to do a field. I spent 23 hrs with a good size excavator (315) pulling stumps 24" across and it is no fun...How many clydesdale's do you have?
Old 10-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Without a dozer it takes time. Do what you can, let it settle and hit it again. A disk can do fair if its a heavy one. I like to run a tiller(shank type, not rotary), then a disk, that will usually level anything up to 4 or 5" off level. Rougher than that moves you into grading equipment territory.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
Without a dozer it takes time. Do what you can, let it settle and hit it again. A disk can do fair if its a heavy one. I like to run a tiller(shank type, not rotary), then a disk, that will usually level anything up to 4 or 5" off level. Rougher than that moves you into grading equipment territory.
I can borrow a disk...will look into a tiller (shank type)
I guess my next step is get the soil tested and lime it to death...before the freeze gets here in New Hampshire.

This is right next to a swamp so I have one part that stays a little soft...the tractor goes down about 5-6 inches. Maybe this area will require a different feed? one that can take the water better...
Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you can run a disc across it and then get a spike tooth chain drag and run over it several times it will do a lot of good. It needs to rain on the area and let it settle before you are finished.
A football field is over an acre and it takes a lot of work to clear and get into planting shape. I'm working with an old family cemetary expanding the burial area. We cleared a little over two acres of trees, brush, etc and had it burned in a pit. It cost $10,000 just to get that part done, and that was the cheapest bid we could get.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

you could use something called a bottom plow it flips the dirt over and then harrow it...or you could use a box blade and just drag that accross the field...but it takes some pratice to learn how to use it right