Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Help me please...

Old 10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Spike

Default Help me please...

Hey everybody... Most of you will probably skim right over this, but Im gonna ask anyway. Im big into hunting and fishing. Its my life. I would say nearly 60% of my time is spent in the field. Im 18 years old. I started fishing before I could walk. Started hunting when I was old enough to shoulder a 12 guage. And Ive been doing it ever since... Im a freshman in college this year. Im majoring in Wildlife Conservation and Management. Im so passionate about the outdoors that Im dedicating my life to protecting it and making sure its there for future generations. Lately Ive been doing a lot of thinking... I really want to give something back and educate people about the beauty and NECESSITY for the outdoor sports. I really want to try writing field journals or holding seminars or ANYTHING that I can do to get involved and educate the public. I hate seeing our favorite hunting and fishing spots wasting away because of neglect. Im tired of the bad reputation hunters get. Im fed up with the lack of funding and projects to help keep the wild, wild. I want to take a stand and do my part, any way possible. Does anybody have any tips or information for me to help get me started? Or at least put me on the right track... Id love to find a magazine or online journal I can write for. I dont need to get paid for it or anything... I just want to give something back and protect that which I love the most.

Thanks everyone,
Mike Murphy

Last edited by goose caller; 10-14-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Goose Caller:
What you are doing is a very good thing. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Don’t take this the wrong way, but what help will writing a blog or journal be? Guess who would read that type of thing. Someone who’s already into outdoor sports, and most of them don’t need educating on the importance of such activities. I don’t say this to discourage you, but you need to rethink your target audience and what you want to do. Something like joining Big Brothers/Sisters and introducing youngsters to outdoor sports would accomplish much more.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Become a hunters ed instructor. Here in Kansas we are all voluntary. We're responsible for putting the classes together, promoting it, and getting different instructors or people that are experts in their field (black powder, first aid, etc) to come in and teach a particular segment.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. Im not sure about Colorado, but I dont think they allow volunteers to teach the classes. Im definitely going to look into that one though.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

your doing more than most...way to go bud!
What about getting into elementary schools...or get with the boy scouts... get some sponsors and put on a catch & release trout pond? kids like to fish...Talk with F&G they might send you a better direction or may even help you!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Spike

Thats a great idea! thank you.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Write a few stories and submit them to a bunch of different magazines. Contact the QDMA and see if they have any suggestions, I have talked to Brian Murphy a few times on the phone and he didn't know me from Adam's housecat, but he took time to talk, nice guy.