Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Serious Coyote Problem

Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Spike

Default Serious Coyote Problem

Last Friday night, me and my friends just got back from the heart of texas fair in waco, as well as a country concert. Got back to my house/property and were just chilling talking in my garage area. We got to a point where we all were quiet for a second and noticed an astounding amount of howling and yipping and etc from coyotes. Weve always had coyotes, theyve never bugged us, and weve never bugged them, until now. Normally you can hear a small pack of around maybe 5 or 6 out there, no big deal. Call me a woman, but that night was pretty horrifying. We heard upwards of 40+ coyotes, EASILY. It was me, my buddy, and both our girlfriends. Me and him can both tell that the howls and noise were coming from literally all sides. We went inside, grabbed some spotlights, and went back out with the 7mm Mag. Flicked on the spotlight and started scanning the fenceline, randomly along it you would spot eyes just behind the brush. Soon as youd spot them, theyd duck. Eventually i ended up firing two rounds into the brush just to get them to quiet down. After i shot it got quiet, and we could hear them moving around, panting and movement. Went out in the jeep(bad idea) and tried to spot them, couldnt find a damn soul. The problem is though we didnt go to the main field for them, we werent prepared, so we had to run back for a while. At this point were going hunting 3 or 4 nights a week is the plan, and im looking for some tips with you guys. Id like to know what is good bait for yotes, and if you guys have any random tips for killing them en masse. Anyways sorry for the long read, felt it really needed an explanation. Thanks for any input.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Spike

Anyone atleast have any tips for luring or hunting coyotes?....
Old 10-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Typical Buck

Use traps to do any good, hunting is a hobby.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Yote trick!

check with your F&G in your area but this is the best thing I have ever heard. Take a deer rib carcass back bone and all and "screw it" to a tree. Like you want to wrap the ribs around the trunk...set some sheetrock screws right through the backbone to hold it there...set the bottom about 12" off the ground. A couple of days old worth of stink helps...Set up several tree stands for you and your buddies....and duct tape strong flash lights pointed at the carcass. After dark Call in those Yotes and have at em>>>let them start tearing it apart first then flip on those lights...use 22 LR or 22 Mags >>the LR are even better. Those yotes get to tearing and snarling and dont even know they are getting shot. Head shots...Talk about cleaning house, you'll need a pick up to remove them all. Remember CHECK with F&G about baiting and night hunting first!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

My buds and I are working on a coyote cull for a nice farm family in the next couple weeks. We plan to leave a couple gut piles out in the open within bow range of a treeline, as the neighbors, while fairly distant, are quite the anti-hunting fanatics.
So, we'll do it quiet like!
We plan to give the gut piles a couple days to ripen up in the sun before we set in there to stick yotes.
I hope to have 3-5 guys for the first hunt, probably just me thereafter, as yotes are pretty intelligent, and they get wise to the tricks quickly.
Couple of us have night scopes to aid in the hunt, so we "set off the ambush" for the rest.
I'd prefer to wait for their winter coats to come in fully, but the landowners are a little fearful for their livestock.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

They are easy to call late summer and early fall if the younger ones are around and that may be why you are hearing so many,use a wounded rabbit or coyote pup distress.Early am or late pm
Old 10-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Heres another tip dont shoot in brush you cant see into kinda dangerous . Chances are slim its human but we occasionally get coon hunters wandering around at night and they do have dogs Just a thought