Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plot Question

Old 10-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Plot Question

The soil where I'm planting is hard. A cultipacker or just letting rain bury the seeds doesn't work because of how hard the soil is. Should I set my tiller where it barely breaks the ground to try to bury the seed, or do you think it would bury the seed to deep to germinate?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of seeds are you planting? Would a disk or drag work? Soil crusting can seriously inhibit seedling emergence. A light disking at/after planting would help to break up a soil with a hard crust, and improve emergence if your soil is that hard.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its that hard - you should roll it over with a moldboard plow - or a subsoiler can break up what sounds like hard pan.

You'll never get good root establishment with a light disking.

I've seen hardpan so hard that a plow bounces on top - Comes from working the upper 1-6" of soil with heavy machinery usually. If you can only overseed - Rye is one of the few seedlings that can help break up hardpan.

If its just dry and sod-filled - thats a whole other story.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Can you roto-till 4-6 inches deep? Do it if you can. Otherwise, try to find a used 2-bottom or 1-bottom (depending on your tractors ponies) plow to work the ground.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

bottom plow then harrow it works gaurenteed
Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

I read this as a soil crusting problem (top of soil gets hard after working/planting). I completely agree with subsoiling/plowing if it is the whole plow layer (top 6-8 inches).