Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Looking for advice and help on Planter >

Looking for advice and help on Planter

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Looking for advice and help on Planter

Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking for advice and help on Planter

Hey fellows looking to possiblly buying a planter for our food plots. Most of the plots are a 1/4 acre to almost1 acre. Don't need anything big I don't think. we have a decent John deere 4 wd tractor so won't have any problem pulling it. Would like your input and also what you think would be a decent price for a used piece of equipment. Thanks Jerry
Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

What do you plan to plant with it? Honestly, for plots that small it's not really worth the expense. Just broadcast your seed.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

A good adjustable disc like a Brown and one of those broadcast seeders you pull behind a 4-wheeler is the basic. A 8 foot spike tooth drag harrow works well also.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a 2-row planter for 75 bucks for my food plots. It took and 10 hours and another 75 bucks worth of nuts/bolts/special tools to get it fully operational. If you are patient and can look around, you might find a deal like that.

Don't be afraid to buy a planter even if everything is completely rusted together. I did. Just use a wire wheel, penetrating oil, blowtorch, and the electrolysis method of rust removal to clean it all up.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

We plant game plots at several different places. For plots up to about 3/4 acre we disk and broadcast the seed and fertilizer using a hand broadcaster. For larger plots we use an old no-till drill.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the input. we broadcast now just thought it would look nicer in rows. going out tomorrow too disc 2 fields for planting. Thanks Jerry