Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Oats in food plot.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

I have had quite the opposite response from my oats. This year I planted them middle of august and we did not get a drop of rain for 2 weeks with hot temps and they all came up great and were about 6 inches tall after 3 weeks. Same thing last year, I planted them and we got no rain for a week and they all came up awesome. I usually don't even look at the weather when I plant because they've always come up so good.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Opel, any update on your new planting?
Old 09-19-2010, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Robv2007
I have had quite the opposite response from my oats. This year I planted them middle of august and we did not get a drop of rain for 2 weeks with hot temps and they all came up great and were about 6 inches tall after 3 weeks. Same thing last year, I planted them and we got no rain for a week and they all came up awesome. I usually don't even look at the weather when I plant because they've always come up so good.
X2 I have had the same results.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Spike

Could possibly be nitrogen burn. Did you over-fertilize?

Ive seen it happen to rye. 12 inches in a week and dead the next week.