Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Fall Attractants

Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Spike

Default Fall Attractants

Been reading this forum about the blocks from TS and the dry mixtures.These things seem to be primarily summer stuff.What about fall attractants? I've read somwhere that peanutbutter/mollasis is good.Anyone used the acorn rage stuff w/good results?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Spike

mollassiss is always good. I like trophy rocks. They last a long time and seem to be a great attractant. We use them on our trail cameras mostly. You can buy them through Gander Mountain or Cabelas or I get them at our local farm supply store.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Planted? Oats and/or clover.

All mineral(salt based) attractants work better before fall. If you want to try them, they should have been put out back in late winter.

If you do not want to plant anything and just want to shoot some deer, plain old corn will be beat all that other crap hands down.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

bag of corn.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
bag of corn.
beat me to it!! but if you could plant, try turnips. in the fall they will eat the leaves then come winter the turnips them selves will become really sweet and the deer can't resist them!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Spike

Default attractent

i use bone D Monium it is a little on the expensive side but if you call they have a new mix called bone max that the deer wont devoire in one day. it is the only thing i have found to work on a regular basis not saying it works great all the time. here is a link to there web site http://www.bonedmonium.com/
Old 08-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jamesaf2870
i use bone D Monium it is a little on the expensive side but if you call they have a new mix called bone max that the deer wont devoire in one day. it is the only thing i have found to work on a regular basis not saying it works great all the time. here is a link to there web site http://www.bonedmonium.com/
Ive never heard of this stuff so had to check out the website. Looks like another gimmick product to me? I'm just kind of biased I guess because I can get my hands on many of the products that are in some of these attractants, and to see the mark up on this is just crazy! Says it lasts 3 times longer than corn......welllll it should for being $20 for 7.5 pounds. 7.5 pounds of corn would run you about $.75 if that. To each their own I guess.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fisher1
Been reading this forum about the blocks from TS and the dry mixtures.These things seem to be primarily summer stuff.What about fall attractants? I've read somwhere that peanutbutter/mollasis is good.Anyone used the acorn rage stuff w/good results?

You are in Maine and Maine is known for bears just as Pa is becoming. If you want to see alot of bear where you are hunting deer then I say the molasses would be great, however luring bears into an area where you are trying to keep deer is not what i'd recommend. Bears do a number on fawns in the first few days of their life so for me I would rather not see any bears where I deer hunt and manage the deer to grow more mature.

Apples are great this time of the year. Don't waste money on manufactured gimmics, go buy seconds-damaged apples or find an orchard if there is any near you and get permission to gather the dropped apples. Acorn rage works as well as feeder fat if you want a powder/ pellet mix.