Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

a trip to the local co-op

Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default a trip to the local co-op

yesterday i stopped in at the local co-op here in marshall va to get some fertilizer for my food plot and the guy at the info. desk was really excited to tell me about this new product coming out. It's by pennington seeds called rackmaster trophy radishes,,,,according to him,,,this is the best thing since sliced bread to come along,,,,it really looks like an awesome product,,,have any of you heard of this stuff ? or have any experience with radishes,,,,the way he portrayed it to me was that it would be best planted with oats,,wheat,,etc....From the pics on their website the radishes get huge with plenty of fertilizer. I'll put up a link to an article i've found.GON
Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I might try a small area of them, by themselves on the side of a plot and see if the deer favor them over other stuff, but only as a trial basis. I wouldn't think radishes would be that great, but who knows.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

This will be the first year I've tried them in a food plot. Based on talking to others, deer seem to prefer radishes over any other type of brassica and the radishes do not need to be frost "sweetened" before the deer will begin feeding on them.

There's some interesting info on the radishes effects on soil improvement also. There is several different "brands" on the market, some geared toward food plotters, but the majority is being used in no-till farming operations. The University of Maryland has been researching "daikon" radishes for 7 or 8 years and some of their findings could be a HUGE benefit to food plotters.

The radishes ability to "bio-till" the soil is one of those benefits. Also, planted alone or mixed with cereal grains, especially oats, spring time food plots are weed free, more fertile and the soil will warm up faster due to the holes left in the ground where the root has decomposed.

After shopping around, I decided the "Tillage Radish" was best suited for my needs and is considerably cheaper than other sources of daikon radish available in my area.

More info: http://www.tillageradish.com/

Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I might check and see if any of the seed stores can get them and mix with Buck Forage Oats. I didn't see any place you can order seeds on-line.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 AM
Typical Buck

Timbercruiser.......it looks like the nearest dealer for the tillage radish in your area is:

Tucker Farm Center
98 Live Oak Lane
Frisco City, AL
251-282-6286

It's possible your local seed store has them or can order them. If not, I can post a on-line source that has a similar brand.

Prices should be around $2.50 - 3.10 a pound.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Use to date a girl from Frisco City............but that was 38 years ago...... Thanks for the info.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Use to date a girl from Frisco City............but that was 38 years ago...... Thanks for the info.
HAHAHA maybe she's been frost sweetened Timber.LOL