Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need Some Help

Old 07-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need Some Help

I finally registered for this site. Anyway, I have a few questions regarding the 1 acre food plot I plan to make in Wisconson strictly for deer. Im planning more a a feeding place than antler growth. The tests came out with adequate pH levels...but I need some suggestions/answers on some basic ?' s:

What equipment is best used to " churn up" the land in preparaion for seeding? I have access to an ATV and a CAT dozer, or by hand??

What should I use (ex. clover, alfalfa, wheat, etc.)to attract deer to my plot, not necessarily for the antler growth.

Should I use any lime/fertilizer despite my aqequate pH level?

Where should I get my seeds....at a Gander Mountain, or a farmers co-op??

Sorry its long...but I would appreciate the feedback! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2003, 05:30 AM

Default RE: Need Some Help

to start with ; welcome to the board onehorn.

on the plot.check out your local farm supply,to see what they have for your area.if the PH is ok, just add some fertizler.
I am the same as you I can' t grow big horns.I just plant to help feed and to see deer.I just plant rye and a bag of rackmaster.that way I get good green and some of the other stuff is mixed in.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, welcome to the board. If the Cat has access to a root rake, use it to break up the plot, then you can work it with the ATV and a small disc
Old 07-03-2003, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

What' s growing on the plot now? If there are trees use the CAT as timbercruiser recommended. Otherwise an ATV with a disk should work. I' d plant clover (Ladino & red) as a permanent crop. This year you could still get rye, wheat or rape in for the fall. You need a soil test to say whether you need fertilizer or not. If the vegetation on the plot is growing well you' re probably OK without it. Otherwise; since it' s only an acre, 200 lb of 10-10-10 won' t hurt your wallet that much. Co-op will probably be your most economical source of seed for the quantity that you need to buy.

Dan O.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

First you need to kill the grass or vegetation that is growing on the plot now. If you can use the atv and a disc to turn everything under. Give it a few weeks and turn it under again. If you can spay it with round-up first and wait a week or two it will save you a lot of time. Clover needs a pH of about 6.5 and alfalfa should be 7.0 to do well. Be sure to use the correct inoculant for each and wait until fall to plant them. If you go with clover or alfalfa use a 0-20-20 fertilizer. Correct soil pH and the inoculant are the two most important steps for the two to do well. Oh, a little rain every now and then doesn' t hurt either.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:32 PM

One word of warning. If you plant rye as a cover crop for clover, make sure it is annual. If the deer don' t clean it up, try and mow it before it seeds out. If you plant perennial Rye, you will have a tough time getting rid of it, and it will compete with the Clover.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board -

You' ve got some good advice - all " must do tips" .

One tip I' d offer - it sounds like your soil' s pretty good. Even so - at planting I' d like to put down at least some (50-100 lbs/acre) of 0-0-60 potash for clover. Its inexpensive (100 lbs is like $10.00) Clover really boosts growth with potash (main source for potassium - K). Broadcasting at planting makes if readily available.

Lastly - even though all the advice you got so far here is good - verify everything you read before you take the next step. Use a good search engine like GOOGLE.COM type in words like CLOVER K BROADCAST - and you will get some good information, hopefully verifying some of the advice you' ve received.

eg. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...er+k+broadcast

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]