Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Secret Spot

Old 07-08-2003, 08:09 PM

Default Secret Spot

What does everyone think of Imperial Whitetails new Secret Spot food plot mix. I just bought a few bags of it and was wondering if anyone has used it yet and how did it do? Also do you think if I do a little extra work like tilling the plot will it grow better?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Secret Spot

A friend that hunts a couple days a year with us picked up 2 packs, and planted one in an overgrown apple orchard, near his stand - the other is going to go on a logging road, where a little more sun gets to it - and be a fall planting.

From what I saw, the seed looked to be all annuals, and 1/2 " calcium - ph booster" the packet looked like it might plant a 10 x 10 ft area is all.

The seeds I could identify were rye, crimson clover, some type of brassica, and maybe some other grasses. None of these seeds are known to be Heavy graze tolerant. I' m sure it' ll grow, I have my doubts about the usefulness of such a small little plot. Take my friend' s site for example, about the time he' s hunting, apples should be dropping everywhere around the site - If any of the little plot remains come October (after frosts/snow - and 3-4 months of deer use) - I doubt the forage will draw in deer - it' ll be the apples!.

That said, a green spot along a logging road (that was bare all summer) will draw some attention to passing deer come hunting season. My contention is that for $10.00 you can but enough combined rye seed in the fall to make Dozen' s of " secret spots" with better results, because you can plant it thicker. Rye broadcast in early October will grow " overnight" it seems, and provide a " dessert" for passing deer.