Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
planting a small food plot in to beans >

planting a small food plot in to beans

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

planting a small food plot in to beans

Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default planting a small food plot in to beans

i have 350 acres of hunting land behind my house, there is about and 80 acre bean frild on th property, and the deer love the beans early season so i am going to try to get one of the 2 big bucks i have been watching, how do u think it would work if i seeded some biologic hot spot in to the beans, just by there main entrence exit area, right by my stand. where i got the pictures of these to bucks.
Attached Thumbnails planting a small food plot in to beans-prms0061.jpg   planting a small food plot in to beans-prms0074.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Those are some nice looking deer!

The field looks plenty thin enough to plant into. I would consider peas and oats if you are interested more in a bowhunting attractant. The oats will germinate fast, and are more palatable to deer than buckwheat. Peas and oats are cheap, and you should be able to get them at a local ag supplier. If you are interested in later season as well (and don't mind that the crop will survive the winter), winter rye would be my choice (again cheap, easy to catch, and should be easy to find at a local ag supplier).
Old 07-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Soilman
Those are some nice looking deer!

The field looks plenty thin enough to plant into. I would consider peas and oats if you are interested more in a bowhunting attractant. The oats will germinate fast, and are more palatable to deer than buckwheat. Peas and oats are cheap, and you should be able to get them at a local ag supplier. If you are interested in later season as well (and don't mind that the crop will survive the winter), winter rye would be my choice (again cheap, easy to catch, and should be easy to find at a local ag supplier).
I second the oats suggestion. A few years ago, I watched a special that the Drury Brothers put out on "Transplanting your Deer from beans to oats" It was the absolute best thing to happen to me. Planting oats near Labor Day so that they are 6 to 8 inches high and green when the beans the area are browning is killer and it's easy and cost efficient. Do it!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

yeah i seen that also, about the oats, but the problem is they are going to actually harvest these means, but the farmer said i could try just throwing som seed in front of my stand, but only like a half acer
Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTINGisLIFE
yeah i seen that also, about the oats, but the problem is they are going to actually harvest these means, but the farmer said i could try just throwing som seed in front of my stand, but only like a half acer
By "in front of my stand" do you mean you have a half acre of land without beans that he will not be running the combine over? If this is the case, you are in the money. You don't need much. A half acre is great.

Otherwise for the price of oats, you still might get 3 or 4 weeks of good hunting out of them before the farmer harvests, and that would be worth it, just buy regular field oats from the a farm supply store. Last time I checked with mine, the were running 4 bucks a bushel and you would need 2 bushel, max. Good luck!!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

alright, there is bean, were i am going to be planting, about how tall with these oats get before the farmer harvest them??
Old 07-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTINGisLIFE
alright, there is bean, were i am going to be planting, about how tall with these oats get before the farmer harvest them??
Depends on when he will be harvesting. It'd be worth your time to ask.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Fork Horn

how exactly will you plant inbetween the beans? just use a garden rake to tear the ground up? i think i will try this myself?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

prolly just us a 6" wide garden rake, then just kinda broadcast the seed
Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

No raking or ground prep is necessary. Just spread the seed directly into the beans as the leaves begin to turn yellow, as the leaves drop, that will serve as a mulch to hold moisture and allow the seed to sprout.