Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

chemical mixing rates??

Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default chemical mixing rates??

Looking for a good average mixing rate for three chemical mixtures. First is just glosphate. Second would be glosphate and 2-4d, third would be just 2-4d. I have the habit of mixing too much chemical in my sprayer and would like to know what rates u guys use. I am using 41% glosphate, and a gallon of 2-4d that i bought at tractor supply. Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

What are you trying to kill? One of my favorite mixtures is 6.4 oz Arsenal, 32.0 oz Gly, 1.6 oz surfactant, and water, makes 15 gallons of spray. Works on cogon grass and most everything else.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Typical Buck

Have you considered reading the directions on the bottles?
All herbicides come with mixing rates based on what you’re trying to kill, as well as warnings and other directions. NEVER use herbicides without reading the direction thoroughly.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Generally speaking, you would make a 2% spray solution of the 41% glyphosate. If your spray tank is 15 gallons, you'd use 38 ounces of the gly with 15 gallons of water. Read the label, some mixtures of gly do/do not have surfactants. You want to have surfactants in your mix. Some people use a good squirt of dishwashing detergent. You want to add it after you've added about 14.5 gallons of your water and gly.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Depends. With Roundup this time of year, 1qt/acre is usually plenty. 2-4d varies by crop, usually 1-3 pints/acre. I typically have my sprayers set to put out 20 gallons per acre at 30 psi at 3.5 mph. Works pretty good unless it is too windy to spray anyway.

Sounds like you need to read the labels, but more importantly learn to calibrate your sprayer. You can adjust everything from the pressure, speed, even replace nozzles to get the output you are looking for. The right mix means nothing if you apply it at the wrong speed.

I should add, practice on a field(that you know the size of) with water. Less risky and MUCH cheaper!

Last edited by hossdaniels; 04-09-2010 at 05:15 PM.