Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Po boy foam marker for sprayers

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Po boy foam marker for sprayers

I don't know how many of yall run sprayers, but here is a easy to make foam marker that I put on my little sprayer.

Saves a good $900 off commercial versions. Even if it isn't quite as durable, it works just as well. Pays for itself($35) in a very short amount of time if your spraying skills are poor as mine.

You need

1 portable gas tank
1 tubeless tire valve
1 cheapo 12v air compressor (I used this one http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP03-1.../dp/B000ET9SAU)
Some hose that fits over the nozzle of the gas tank, how much depends on the length of your boom.
foam marker concentrate+water

Drill a hole(small enough for the tire valve seal up, don't remember which size I used ) in the bottom of the perfectly good portable gas tank.

Insert tire valve

Attach hose to nozzle of gas tank and run your hose to the end of the boom. On the new idiot spill proof gas cans, you will have to cut off the idiot proof part.

Attach el cheapo 12v air compressor. You can cut off the 12v plug and wire directly, or install a 12v outlet on your tractor if you do not have one already.

These compressors are cheap and do not last forever, I usually can get a couple years out the one on the lil' food plot sprayer if I remember to take the compressor off and put it inside when I finish.

I use a plastic shield on the bigger sprayer I use more often(~50 acres per week), usually get three months out of it.

Put in foam marker concentrate and water and go!

This size(1.5gal) will run for over 30 minutes on a fill up(1 gal), 1-6 acres depending on the size and speed your sprayer(2.5 acres on this 10' boom at 3.5mph). 5 gallon tanks will run for over an hour easily. The tanks do better if not completely full, I usually fill to about 2/3 full. No sort of regulator, just blows into a open hose. Really not very much pressure needed at all. If I have a larger spot to do you can take a few jugs of water and foam concentrate premixed to the field.

I know its not a straight line, but you try to take pics while driving a tractor that old!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Spike

Default great idea

I have a 17 acre field I was just looking at yesterday that I have to spray with the 10' booms on my 4 wheeler. I was usually do pretty good on getting everything killed, but I'm sure I over lap way to much. This is a great idea. Thanks for the pic's and simple instructions.