Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Planting?

Hey guys, I just got a 10 lbs. bag of seed from Merit Seed via the Ohio Deer Expo. It's a mix of Clover/alfalfa/chicory. when is the the earliest this spring to plant this stuff cause i want to get it rollin as soon as I can.
thanks
Old 03-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Around the first of April would be the safest bet, because of the Alfalfa. The clover and chicory can tolerate cold soil better than the alfalfa.

Which one of those blends did you get from Merit Seed?
Old 03-21-2010, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's the 12 point Mix without turnips. Last year at the Expo one of their salesmen gave me a free 3lbs. bag of straight clover mix. I planted it and the stuff did great and the deer seemed to enjoy it as well, so this year I bought some new stuff.
Also here is a few pics from the location of my plot, lemme know if you think it's to shady, it gets a decent amount of sun but I'm still worried about when the leaves come that it will be a thicker canopy.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 03-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

I thought maybe it was the Platinum Ultra blend, which looks like a good one also. The 12 point should work well for a spring planting, especially minus the turnips.

You should still be OK with that location, clover in particular can tolerate shade fairly well. Soil acidity could be an issue there if no lime has been applied. The tree's could impact the plot more in dry weather, the roots can pull moisture in a major way.

You might want to consider sowing some oats along with that mix to help with weed control until the clover and other seeds can become established.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you ever used Arrest on your plots?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

Haven't used Arrest, but I've used something similar called Poast Plus. I've since started using Arrow, which seems to get a better kill on most grasses. Broad leaf weeds might give you more of a problem at that location, and with chicory in the mix, there's not many herbicide options. Also, if the clover and alfalfa in the 12 point blend isn't pre-inoculated, you might want to consider using it this time. With a new plot, inoculate is very beneficial and its fairly cheap insurance.
POAST PLUS GRASS HERBICIDE - 2.5 GAL (Same as ARREST

ARROW GRASS HERBICIDE - 1 GAL (Same as SELECT or TRIGGER)

Alfalfa/Clover Inoculation (INTX-Prevail)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Seed had some orange colored powder with it. I dont know if its inoculated or not. It doesnt say on the bag other than the fact that the seed has been coated with something.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mossberghunter93
The Seed had some orange colored powder with it. I dont know if its inoculated or not. It doesnt say on the bag other than the fact that the seed has been coated with something.

Sounds like it's pre-inoculated. Sometimes the coating also contains lime and other minerals as an added benefit.

Well good luck on this plot, if the weather or other things don't cooperate this spring and summer, you can always try again late summer/fall. That area looks like an ideal place for a kill plot, especially for bow season!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, thanks haystack, I have never seen as much deer activity as i have seeen i'm pumped to see what happens this fall!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.