Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Our clover/rye plot...don't fix what's not broken? >

Our clover/rye plot...don't fix what's not broken?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Our clover/rye plot...don't fix what's not broken?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

The only reason I'd do it now, is if I knew I wouldn't have some free time to get it done for the next month.

I believe there will be plenty opportunities ahead. I'm south of you a good ways and its very common to have below freezing mornings ideal for frost seeding, through the month of March.

The main advantage to seeding on to frozen ground, is the soil is "honeycombed" which draws the seed into the soil, creating the good seed to soil contact. Plus I don't like walking through greasy mud any more than I have too.

Ultimately, you could seed your plot anytime this month with or without frost, and you'd still be fine...as long as rains come in a timely way throughout spring, and the rain wasn't in the form of a deluge
Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I'm late on posting this topic -

My feeling with a 4-5 year old clover plot - maybe on the down side - is "you have money in the bank" - I mean Nitrogen in the soil. As a manager on my property - I'm most likely planting corn or maybe soybeans if corn isn't a good option for some reason.

If the plot has been really good as a clover plot - maybe I go back to it even after one year- but You have to take advantage of the free N - and also rid a good plot of Excess N - for the next clover planting.

In my experience - a good clover plot - makes for a good corn plot. The soil will be good - and you already know the location is good by the use you've seen. Other planting options are out there - but corn is a great N user and a fall/winter attractant like no other.

My 2 cents.
FH
Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reading over you original post again -

If your heart is set on Winter wheat for a fall planting - I wouldn't plant turnips or rapeseed in the spring. Because in my experience - they don't get used at all in the summer months. They might make a good green fertilizer - but so will a weedy clover plot. Your better off keeping it in a clover (even if its weedy) - spraying in July and Planting winter wheat in late summer.

I still like corn though - even if for one year - You'll never get more natural N in the soil (except for maybe with Alfalfa) - than with a 4-5 year old clover plot.

FH