Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Deer damage on the forest floor

Old 02-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer damage on the forest floor

I gathered information for a reseach project on deer damage on the forest floor and I thought I'd also reach out to this forum for additional information.

Does anyone have or can anyone point me to information on the negative impact deer are causing to the forest floor? As they kill the saplings, regeneration does not have a chance. I can almost hear the cry from the future - "What happen to all the young oak trees?" and "How did we let this get out of hand?" Thanks.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Spike

There are biologists who have made careers out of studying this very thing. It has been (and still is to a lesser degree today) a huge issue in some states out east. Go to google and do a "scholar" search on whatever details you want. There is more information on this issue than you'll know what to do with.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dr. Gary Alt.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

I share your concern, and it would seem the state of Wisconsin does also, listening to the hunters over-there it would seem the state DNR is eliminating as many deer as possible. should be great for the trees,
pretty soon they will be trading their deer rifles for chain saws!!!
Doc
Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vadeer
I gathered information for a reseach project on deer damage on the forest floor and I thought I'd also reach out to this forum for additional information.

Does anyone have or can anyone point me to information on the negative impact deer are causing to the forest floor? As they kill the saplings, regeneration does not have a chance. I can almost hear the cry from the future - "What happen to all the young oak trees?" and "How did we let this get out of hand?" Thanks.
15 year old deer exclosure in Vilas County
15 year old deer exclosure in Vilas County

http://council.wisconsinforestry.org/deer/deerlit.php

ALVERSON, W. S., D. M. WALLER, and S. L. SOLHEIM. 1988. Forests too deer: edge effects in northern Wisconsin. Conservation Biology 2(4):348-358.

ANDERSON, R. C., and O. L. LOUCKS. 1979. White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) influence on structure and composition of Tsuga canadensis forests. Journal of Applied Ecology 16(3):855-861.

BEALS, E. W., G. GOTTAM, and R. J. VOGL. 1960. Influence of deer on the vegetation of the Apostle Islands, Wisconsin. Journal of Wildlife Management 24:68-80.

BEHREND, D. F., G. F. MATTFELD, W. C. TIERSON, and J. E. WILEY, III. 1970. Deer density control for comprehensive forest management. Journal of Forestry 68: 695-700.

BLOUCH, R. I. 1984. Northern Great Lakes and Ontario forests. Pages 391-410 in L. K. Halls, editor. White-tailed deer: ecology and management. Stackpole Books, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA.

CASEY, D., and D. HEIN. 1983. Effects of heavy browsing on a bird community in deciduous forest. Journal of Wildlife Management 47(3):829-836.

CÔTÉ, S. D., T. P. ROONEY, J. P. TREMBLAY, C. DUSSAULT and D. M. WALLER. 2004. Ecological impacts of deer overabundance. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 35:113-147.

DAHLBERG, B. L., and R. C. GUETTINGER. 1956. The white-tailed deer in Wisconsin. Wisconsin Conservation Department Technical Wildlife Bulletin No. 14. 282 pp.

DAVIDSON, W. R., and G. L. DOSTER. 1997. Health characteristics and white-tailed deer population density in the southeastern United States. Pages 164-184 in W. J. McShea, H. B. Underwood, and J. H. Rappole, editors. The Science of Overabundance. Deer Ecology and Population Management. Smithsonian Institute Press, Washington D.C., USA.

DECALESTA, D. S. 1994. Effect of white-tailed deer on songbirds within managed forests in Pennsylvania. Journal of Wildlife Management 58:711-718.

DITCHKOFF, S. S., and F. A. SERVELLO. 1998. Litterfall: an overlooked food source for wintering white-tailed deer. Journal of Wildlife Management 62:250-255.

FRELICH, L. E., and C. G. LORIMER. 1985. Current and predicted long-term effects of deer browsing in hemlock forests in Michigan, USA. Biological Conservation 34(2):99-120.

GARNER, M. S. 2001. Movement patterns and behavior at winter feeding and fall baiting stations in a population of white-tailed deer infected with bovine tuberculosis in the northeastern lower peninsula of Michigan. Dissertation, Michigan State University, East Lansing, USA.

GILL, R. M. A. 1992a. A review of damage by mammals in north temperate forests: 1. Deer. Forestry 65(2):145-169.

GILL, R. M. A. 1992b. A review of damage by mammals in north temperate forests: 3. Impact on trees and forests. Forestry 65(4):363-388.

HARLOW, R. F., and R. L. DOWNING. 1970. Deer browsing and hardwood regeneration in the southern Appalachians. Journal of Forestry 68(5):298-300.

HORSLEY, STEPHEN B., and D. A. MARQUIS. 1983. Interference by weeds and deer with Allegheny hardwood reproduction. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 13(1):61-69.

HURLEY, P. M., and D. FLASPHOLER. 2005. An assessment of l
ong-term biodiversity recovery from intense and sustained deer browse on North Manitou Island, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. http://michigansaf.org/Tours/05Deer/06-Flaspohler.pdf (Accessed 8 January 2008).

LEBOUTON, J. P. 2005. Forests for dinner: exploring a model of how deer affect advance regeneration at stand and landscape scales. http://michigansaf.org/Tours/05Deer/03- LeBouton.pdf (Accessed 8 January 2008).

LEOPOLD, A. 1933. Game Management. Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York, USA.

LEOPOLD, A., L. K. SOWLS, and D. L. SPENCER. 1947. A survey of over-populated deer ranges in the United States. Journal of Wildlife Management 11(2):162-177.

LESAGE, L., M. CRETE, J. HUOT, A. DUMONT, and J. P. OUELLET. 2000. Seasonal home range size and philopatry in two northern white-tailed deer populations. Canadian Journal of Zoology 78:1930-1940.

MCCULLOUGH, D. R. 1979. The George Reserve Deer Herd. Population Ecology of a Kselected Species. University Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, USA.

MCCULLOUGH, D. R. 1997. Irruptive behavior in ungulates. Pages 69-98 in W. J. McShea, H. B. Underwood, and J. H. Rappole, editors. The science of overabundance: deer ecology and population management. Smithsonian Institute Press, Washington D.C., USA.

MCSHEA, W. J., and J. H. RAPPOLE. 1997a. Herbivores and the ecology of forest understory birds. Pages 298-309 in W. J. McShea, H. B. Underwood, and J. H. Rappole, editors. The science of overabundance: deer ecology and population management. Smithsonian Institute Press, Washington D.C., USA.

MCSHEA, W. J., and J. H. RAPPOLE. 1997b. The science and politics of managing deer within a protected area. Wildlife Society Bulletin 25:443-446.

MILLER, S. G., S. P. BRATTON, and J. HADIDIAN. 1992. Impacts of white-tailed deer on endangered vascular plants. Natural Areas Journal 12:67-74.

MLADENOFF, D. J., and F. STEARNS. 1993. Eastern hemlock regeneration and deer browsing in the Great Lakes region: a re-examination and model simulation. Conservation Biology 7:889- 900.

MOEN, A. N. 1976. Energy conservation by white-tailed deer in the winter. Ecology 57:192- 197.

OZOGA, J. J., and L. J. VERME. 1982. Physical and reproductive characteristics of a supplementally-fed white-tailed deer herd. Journal of Wildlife Management 46(2):281-301.

PEKINS, P. J., and M. D. TARR. 1997. The impact of winter feeding on population dynamics of white-tailed deer in northern New Hampshire. Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Study W- 12-R, Proj. 3, Job 2. New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, Concord, USA.

PROCEEDINGS: MICHIGAN SOCIETY OF AMERICAN FORESTERS. 2005. “Forest & Wildlife-Striving for Balance” Ed. Bill Cook. 381 pp. (Available at: http://michigansaf.org/ Tours/Deer2005/Proceedings.pdf).

ROONEY, T. P. 2001. Deer impacts on forest ecosystems: a North American perspective. Forestry 74(3):201-208.

ROONEY, T. P. and D. M. WALLER. 2003. Direct and indirect effects of white-tailed deer in forest ecosystems. Forest Ecology and Management 181:165-176.

STOECKELER, J. H., R. O. STROTHMAN, and L. W. KREFTING. 1957. Effect of deer browsing on reproduction in the northern hardwood-hemlock type in northeastern Wisconsin. Journal of Wildlife Management 21:75-80.

TILGHMAN, N. G. 1989. Impacts of white-tailed deer on forest regeneration in northwestern Pennsylvania. Journal of Wildlife Management 53:524-532.

VAN DEELEN, T. R. 1995. Seasonal migrations and mortality of white-tailed deer in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Dissertation, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI. 158pp.

WALLER, D. M., and W. S. ALVERSON. 1997. The white-tailed deer: a keystone herbivore. Wildlife Society Bulletin 25:217-225.

Last edited by 1sagittarius; 02-25-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

those are some serious references no doubt 1saggitarius!
Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 AM
Spike

You'll get some info from some work we've done in the UK

www.dcs.gov.uk
Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Spike

Default Deer damage

Hi vadeer

i am a full time deer manager and i look after about 20 large woodlands,some are whats called ancient woodlands,some are ssi or as they are known special interest woodlands.in england now we have approx 100,000muntjac deer that have spread all over the best part of england.
They have made a dramatic impact on woodland eco systems,and their biodiversity primarily causing,a change in the woodland architecture by removing the shrub layer.they are associated with the reduction to rare or nationally important flowing plants,ie...bluebells,dogs mercury,native species of orchids,cowslips,devilsbit scabious,honeysuckle,and wood anemone.
The knock oneffect is the reductionof invertebrates species as beetles,butterfly's,this then effects insectivorious birds like blue tits,great tits warblers,wagtails woodpeckers .
Damage caused by muntjac's to shrub and base levels and coppice, also leads to the decline of birds and small mammals which nest at low levels.nightingales,warblers,wrens,hedge sparrows,and the yellow necked mouse,dormice and the bank vole, which in turnhits the survival of predators like tawny owls,barn owls,little owls,and the various birds of prey.
So yes i agree 100% that deer are the main trouble for either browsing the bottom of the wood or subject to what species of deer it is what height they browse at,in any case they can cause a great deal of damage.
Regards,
chinese water deer.