Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Caleb is planting a food plot

Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Caleb is planting a food plot

His first one ever actually.

Its going to be in the red circle:

Everywhere it says "alfafla" is 2nd year alfalfa growth. It didnt come in too great last year, so im hoping for the better this year.

My question is, what should i plant? I know i want ot put corn around the border, should i just do clover on the inside?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

With all of that Alfalfa around, looks like a feeder filled with corn and placed in front of your stand, will be all that's needed....

Seriously though, the alfalfa fields is a major bonus! Having that already in place, I would concentrate on growing something that will be available in the fall and winter after the alfalfa has gone dormant or the last cutting has been removed for hay.

Corn is a good choice, but is expensive (lots of fertilizer) and somewhat difficult to grow if some equipment is not available. Not sure what your deer densities is, but you may need 2 or more acres to last through hunting season.

Something I'd suggest is a mix of Winter Rye or Wheat, Oats, Austrian Winter Peas planted late summer. That mix will be green and growing through bow season and will attract deer on into late winter. Fairly cheap, easy to grow and deer around here like it as good as corn if not more.

Brassicas would be another choice if the deer in your area likes 'em. They're also easy to grow and the seed is fairly cheap, although they need lots of fertilizer to produce enough to feed a lot of deer through late season.

That's about all I've got right now, my train of thought has been seriously disrupted due to your avatar!......
Old 02-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by haystack

That's about all I've got right now, my train of thought has been seriously disrupted due to your avatar!......
Glad i could be of assistance
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Siman08/OH
Glad i could be of assistance
If my wife catches me gawking at that, there will be no more huntingnet for haystack.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Spike

i have planted rape and turnips in ohio for the past 4 years and the deer have never touched them. you would need to plant at least a couple acres of corn if you want to hunt over it, we planted an acre of corn this year and the deer picked it clean by november. oats, rye, peas and clover is a great fall mix.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

If you have the equipment, I'd go with soybeans. In my opinion you can't go wrong with them. Very nice Avatar,
Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looking at the alfalfa pictures it looks like the deer are eating the edges up. Is that what is happening?
Maybe a mixture of clover and Buck Forage Oats.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

I was think maybe corn on the in side and biologic maximum or somthing like about 30 from the woods to the corn all the way around to keep the deer close to the edge if u are bow hunting and maybe put some run ways through the corn...idk that what we are doing this year with one food plat because it is all buckforage oats and they all stay out in the center.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Bartender

http://www.whitetailstewards.com/art...nialclover.htm

Also Todd Graf owns the following site:
http://www.foodplots.com/

Some good stuff for you caleb
Old 03-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by peakrut
http://www.whitetailstewards.com/art...nialclover.htm

Also Todd Graf owns the following site:
http://www.foodplots.com/

Some good stuff for you caleb
Ill check it out. Were going to get serious once the snow melts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.