HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Caleb is planting a food plot
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 PM
haystack
Typical Buck

With all of that Alfalfa around, looks like a feeder filled with corn and placed in front of your stand, will be all that's needed....

Seriously though, the alfalfa fields is a major bonus! Having that already in place, I would concentrate on growing something that will be available in the fall and winter after the alfalfa has gone dormant or the last cutting has been removed for hay.

Corn is a good choice, but is expensive (lots of fertilizer) and somewhat difficult to grow if some equipment is not available. Not sure what your deer densities is, but you may need 2 or more acres to last through hunting season.

Something I'd suggest is a mix of Winter Rye or Wheat, Oats, Austrian Winter Peas planted late summer. That mix will be green and growing through bow season and will attract deer on into late winter. Fairly cheap, easy to grow and deer around here like it as good as corn if not more.

Brassicas would be another choice if the deer in your area likes 'em. They're also easy to grow and the seed is fairly cheap, although they need lots of fertilizer to produce enough to feed a lot of deer through late season.

That's about all I've got right now, my train of thought has been seriously disrupted due to your avatar!......