Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Getting weeds & grass out of the clover plot >

Getting weeds & grass out of the clover plot

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Getting weeds & grass out of the clover plot

Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Getting weeds & grass out of the clover plot

Last year, I planted both Red and White clover in two 1/2 acre plots. They looked OK at first - until the grass and weeds got in them. I knew I was supposed to mow - and I did - but the weeds especially continued to come back faster than the clover. I was told that the 2nd year would be better than the first, but I'm looking at a lot of brown weeds out there that are just waiting to take over the plot this spring. I've got parts that aren't too bad, and other sections that are losing the battle. I"m open to suggestions . . .

BTW-the Red clover worked much better than the white for me. The deer pretty much stayed in the Red stuff.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

second year might be better, depends on how much grass there is. typically it is best to remove the grass first, usually spraying with roundup, then tilling and planting. first year annual weeds aren't a big problem, because by the second year the clover is established.

the sections you think are losing battles, you could simple spray down with roundup and broadcast clover on the surface... should catch, provided there's adequate moisture. this might save you from working up the whole plot.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

You can spray poast plus on the plots and kill all of the grasses. Butyrac is a good broadleaf herbicide for clovers. If you do spray, keep mowing in the summer and fall as well.

Another option is a low rate of round-up (1 qt/a). Your clover should survive this (unless it is stressed), but it will kill most weeds (especially grasses).
Old 01-29-2010, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there a spray that would kill off the weeds without killing the clover?
Secondly, when is the correct time to mow clover (esp the red type)?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

The herbicides Soilman listed are safe for clover. It just depends on what type of weeds you have.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DaveH
Is there a spray that would kill off the weeds without killing the clover?
Secondly, when is the correct time to mow clover (esp the red type)?

If you mean broad leaf weeds such as lambsquarter, ragweed, dandelion etc. then Butyrac 200 is about the cheapest/effective herbicide used on clover, legumes etc.
BUTYRAC 200 BROADLEAF HERBICIDE IN ALFALFA & CLOVER

I usually mow/clip my red clover twice. Once around mid-may and again around the first of july. It mainly will depend on rainfall/season also. I will wait till 25 to 50% of the clover has bloomed on the first cut and just over 50 % on the second cut.

Its very possible you will not need a chemical application, especially with the red clover, it usually out grows and smothers competition. Grass is more of an issue because it rebounds quickly after being cut and feeds off the nitrogen being produced by the clover. For grass control, depending on the type of grass, I have better results using Arrow or any brand that contains Clethodim.

If you're located near a Southern States coop, I would check there for prices on herbicides, the one located here has the chemicals mentioned and are reasonably priced. Most will gladly offer advice also.

ARROW GRASS HERBICIDE

POAST PLUS GRASS HERBICIDE
Old 01-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Fusilade "over the top kills the grass not the crop" Not sure if it is restricted or sold under another name. We use to spray Fusilade and butyrac on peanuts iirc.

Last edited by okgobbler; 01-29-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

FusiladeŽ DX is a selective, systemic postemergence herbicide for control of both annual and perennial grasses in cotton, soybeans, vegetables, fruits, and nuts (see label for complete listing of registered crops). This product controls grasses in both conventional tillage and no-till planting. Fusilade controls tough grasses like rhizome Johnsongrass and bermudagrass and readily tankmixes with most broadleaf herbicides for convenient weed control. Made by syngenta
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Dave, If I remember correctly, several months ago you mentioned having Horseweed in your food plots.

Around here it doesn't sprout until after the soil has thoroughly warmed, usually late May. It can be very hard to kill once it starts sending up a stalk, its somewhat resistant to glyphosate and I seriously doubt Butyrac will phase it once it has sent up a stalk. However, Butyrac should kill it in the seedling stage. The best bet would be to closely monitor your plots early and be ready to spray if it looks like its going to be an issue again this year.

Here is what it looks like as a seedling.

Also, concerning the mowing of the Red clover. This stuff gets huge, knee high or more. Its likely you'll need to go over your plot two times or more in order to get a decent clipping. Raking the excess might be in order also to prevent smothering of the clover.

To give you an idea how big Red clover gets, here's pic of some of mine last year right before cutting, my dog is in the back ground and weights 85#s he isn't short legged either.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haystack, I'm not sure if I posted anything earlier about it, but everything you said is helpful. Based on the pic you provided, I am seeing some horseweed, however the weed that is giving me the biggest problem is more broadleafed - I used to describe it as looking like giant carrot tops. I guess the butyrac would work on it - and it's certainly a LOT less expensive.
Regarding mowing . . . how tall should I let it get . . . or just wait for it to flower first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.