Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot

Old 06-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default food plot

Has anyone tried the new Power Plant by whitetail institute? It sound like it would be perfect for the sandy soil around here but I haven' t had much luck with the big name companies in the past.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:30 AM

Default RE: food plot

never tried that,but I did plant some alfa-rack last Tuesday.
I will let you know how it does.while I was loading the tracror on the trailer it started to rain real hard.that should make it come soon.I have tried some of the Bio-lodgic and none of it came up.(" I Mean None Of It" ).
Old 06-12-2003, 06:04 PM
JKT

Tree climber, your coment about the Bio-lodgic not germinating got me wondering if the seeds that have been coated with an innoculant have a shelf life. If thats so I guess you need to know how old they are or buy from someone who has a high turnover.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve never tried the Power Plant but the Imperial brand is good stuff. I can tell you that deer will eat sunflowers and turkeys love them as well. Give it a try and let us know how it does.

On the pre-inoculated seed, from what I understand inoculant does loose it' s effect after a certain period of time. Not absolutely positive but that' s what I' ve heard. Inoculant is cheap. You can get enough to do 100lbs of seed for well under $10 so in my opinion to re-inoculate just before planting would be a good idea.