Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What to plant in spring??

Old 01-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Spike

Default What to plant in spring??

I live on 5 acres in south alabama and have about a 3/4 acre plot in my back yard. I limed it about 5 months ago so I should be i good shape there. We seem to have a low deer density for alabama in my area. About 1/4 mile from my place is a 150 acre field, that was last year and will again this be planted in soybeans. I have permission to hunt this field and surrounding woods. My deer are are very well feed and big for alabama.

What should i plant in my back yard this spring. My only goal is to attract deer because i think its cool to have them in the back yard. And # 2 i want them to become more comfortable with my backyard, and not associate it with danger. (previous homeowner was an outlaw)

Would it be possible to plant soybeans on 3/4 acre? with such a big bean field so close. What do yall think??
Old 01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Soybeans are not usually planted year after year. They have disease problems if they are. Perhaps you could plant soybeans the year after the farm field was in soybeans, and another crop (some of the Southern gentlemen will have good ideas for you) the year the big field will be in soybeans. The soybeans will certainly draw deer into your backyard.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Something that would work incredibly well is to plant a vegetable garden with anticipation that you'll have a bountiful harvest.

If you own the property and you're expecting to live there for the foreseeable future, you might want to consider planting apple trees that mature in succession throughout the summer and fall. You could also grow clover in between the rows of the caged trees until fruit production begins.

In my opinion, it can be very difficult to attract deer to a location in the summer months. There's a lot of preferred vegetation growing in their habitat at that time, and large crop fields are hard to compete with if the same crop is grown.