Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting whole corn as food plot?

Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by extreme01
I was going to broadcast the seed around mid May. I was thinking of brodcasting the seed, I know it would be thicker, not sure if this would limit the growth.

1- so far, am I on track?
2- Do I just use field corn? or Round-Up ready corn? pro's/con's
3- Do I need to spray? with what and when ? I don't mind the weeds but will spraying give me a better crop?

Thanks for any help that can be offered!
Broadcasting corn will be a waste of seed, they will compete for nutrients and water and none of the plants will reach their potential as when planted with a row planter.

Read my above post about Round-Up Ready

Spray the field with the most agressive weed killer you can find, we used to use Final (I think it was called) It killed nearly everything, then we plow, spray again and then harrow the ground a week to 2 weeks later and plant the seed. With the Round-Up seed we are able to use round-up to spray again after the corn grows to about 6-10 inches high. By planting in rows it makes it5 easier to spray without running over your plants.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Broadcasting corn will be a waste of seed, they will compete for nutrients and water and none of the plants will reach their potential as when planted with a row planter.
I've seen a lot of fields of broadcasted corn that would say you're wrong. Not about them not groing to full potential, but about it being a waste of seed.

Last edited by M.Magis; 01-04-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by extreme01
I wanted to ask for some sugestions on planting corn. I have looked over other postings, but not able to find details on the best way to plant for the purpose of a food plot. I have planted food plots for the last many years, but never corn. I purchased a new 20 acre parcel of land last year and it has three plots of corn of around 1 acre of size already on it (also has 3 other food plots, pines, swamp, and a section of woods). I want to keep planting the corn, however not sure how. I have a atv with a disc, spreader, sprayer, and roller. Based on looking at Ed's book, I was going to broadcast the seed around mid May. I was thinking of brodcasting the seed, I know it would be thicker, not sure if this would limit the growth. I was going to use 200 lbs of 20-10-10 fert- I need to check around to see who has it. My questions-
1- so far, am I on track?
2- Do I just use field corn? or Round-Up ready corn? pro's/con's
3- Do I need to spray? with what and when ? I don't mind the weeds but will spraying give me a better crop?

Thanks for any help that can be offered!
Your plan is fine, with a little tweeking you may get some better results. Using round-up ready corn will give you much better weed control. Corn does not like weeds when it is small, and spraying will give you much better yields. Spread 100 lbs/a 9-23-30 (common corn starter fertilizer, check your local co-op for bagged corn starter), and disc the heck out of the plot. Plant your seed about 1 1/2 inches deep. You may want to consider an earthway seeder for a 1 acre plot (they work ok if you do not have rocks and lots of sod/weed residue http://www.earthway-outlet.com/1001b.htm). Spray your weeds whenever they get thick, as long as you can get into the plot (especially when the corn is very small, or if the weeds are over the top of the corn). Apply 200 lbs/a urea (100 lbs/a would be OK if you are looking to save money, 20-10-10 is too much filler for your money) when the corn is 6-12 inches tall, right before a rain. If you can get a soil test, that may help you save on fertilizer (you may just need urea). Good luck.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

i have planted "combine run" corn right out of the grain bin with good results, round up ready too.the price was right "free". remember, you are feeding deer, not farming for yield.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by redinator
i have planted "combine run" corn right out of the grain bin with good results, round up ready too.the price was right "free". remember, you are feeding deer, not farming for yield.
It will work, but it's also illegal.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

Watch out Red, the seed police might come knocking.

Monsanto ”Seed Police” Scrutinize Farmers

Although I doubt they will come after a food plotter planting a few acres, I sure as hell wouldn't want to find out. Besides as expensive as corn is to grow, fertilizer, chemicals, cultivation, plot prep etc. its just not worth planting corn that may not even produce any grain.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

I always plant a few acres of corn, just walk down a row and drop it on the ground, then run over with a drag or lightly disk. Can plant a field in less than a hour and I am elderly. I get my seed from Pheasants forever ( others might have it) for about $15 a bag, soybeans too, as well as wildlife mixes but those are more costly. Whatever you do go to a farm elavator or store, don't buy the package stuff.
Redclub