Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Anyone use the Goundhog Max

Old 12-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone use the Goundhog Max

From what I've heard so far they work pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuKTig5nLok

ATV Plow Groundhog Max By Mossy Oak Biologic

Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Spike

"I just bought a GroundHog Max, it's a small 22" disc that mounts right to the hitch of your 4 wheeler, or small tractor. It uses the pressure from the weight of the machine to dig, you first put the rear wheeels off the ground set the desired cutting depth then drive off and start working. I was really skeptical because it's quite small and I already have a nice 4' tow behind disc, but I have areas that I can't get to in the early spring back in the woods. Well, I tried this thing out and man does it work well, I bet that it will be faster than my other disc because you can go so much faster with it. I tested it in an area 30' x 150' that was previously planted and had it ready for planting in less than 10 minutes. You can see video clips on you tube under grounghog max and see it in action. The one thing that I did to mine was add a spring tooth to the center of the disc beacuse it leaves like a 3" row down the middle untouched each pass! Other than the price, which I thought was a little high, and the fact that Biologic has it made in China, it's awesome. The one other thing I will say is that it seems to be made really tough, heavy construction with heavy duty notched blades that should last really long. I will let you know more as I put more miles on it, which will start real soon. One other note, the guy I bought mine from said that he had put 600 miles on one unit during testing without a single problem"
Old 12-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Spike

Judging by the design you would have to spend considerable effort to strengthen your hitch. The design appears to put some extremely heavy vertical loads on your ATV hitch. Hit a rock or hard ground and something is going to bend or break.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using one. It seems like it would be extremely hard on your hitch. Instead of loading the hitch horizontally as the hitch is designed to take load it loads your hitch vertically. That can't be healthy for the hitch attachment point. Like putting way too much tongue weight on it but instead of forcing the hitch down it forces it up.

Seems like a perfect way to bend the receiver hitch on your ATV or tear the thing off completely.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like a neat design but I'd be worried about tearing up the ATV hitch or something even more expensive. I know what it feels like when the Plot Mule hits someting big and hard and shudder to think about all that force hitting something with no give to it. I'd think some form of spring system or breakaway would make this product design infinitely better.

I'd also be even more concerned if the ATV lacked independent suspension. It looks like that might even be a harder hit.

Just my $.02

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 01-04-2010 at 07:40 AM.