Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

water in food plot?

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default water in food plot?

how much will it hurt my food plot that im planning to plant next spring if there is 2-3 inches of water in spots? id say a hf acre is under water outa 2 acres. its spoty not all one big puddle. its just a weed field rite now. its rained a ton this fall! if its a big deal should i dig a lil ditch down the center and run it into the biger ditch that is on the edge of my plot?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Spike

if its normally dry unless it rains a ton, u should be ok. if it olds water for long periods of time, it would be worth while to dig a trench. also depends on what ur planting. some crops can tolerate wetter soils than others.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you can ditch it, I would definitely do it. Wet soils make it harder to plant and I don't know of any kind of food plot plants that will tolerate being extremely wet.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you run a small plow along the contour from the wet spots to the main ditch and then follow the same path in the opposite direction from the main ditch back you can easily create a shallow water drain. This If you look at corn fields when you're driving through the country you'll notice the poor growth in low areas. It's probably due to poor root growth and possible salts accumulation in those areas.

Dan O.