Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Its in, and it better grow!

Old 06-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Its in, and it better grow!

Spent 3 yrs working on this soil for my plot. I did it the wrong way the first time, never went by the soil test. Anyways it was plowed & dragged last yr. Limed last fall. Herbicided this spring, fertilized, disc' d, seeded, spring bed dragged, and rolled. I applied everything just like my last soil test read. Spoke to many farmers, and few questions here. I went with a little Alfa Rack, and NWTF' s perennial Strut & Rut mix. Now I' m afraid if it does grow it' ll get devoured before it has a chance to establish. I' m considering some sort of material mesh fencing to let it get established well. But I' ll see if it even comes up first!
Old 06-02-2003, 11:49 PM

Default RE: Its in, and it better grow!

You aren' t alone. I' ve done it all, and wrong. We just had a hard frost 2 days in a row and my corn is up. The rain we were to get didn' t materialize and everything is dry as a bone. So, even if you do it right and by the numbers it may not matter if mother nature doesn' t cooperate. [:' (][&:]
Old 06-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m with you Lawnfarmer...You can do everything right and end up with little. And sometimes, you can do a lot wrong and end up OK...That' s not the norm, though.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

lawnfarmer; if we could get 2 days in a row without rain I' d mow the grass. Did you try a native rain dance?

Dan O.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, I did it all wrong the first 2 years myself. Then last year I did it right but had no rain. This year it has finally come together. We' ve had above average rainfall and the plots are growing like gangbusters. On the fencing, I wouldn' t even bother unless you go 10 feet high. Even a 6 foot fence will only keep them out for a few days and then they' ll go over it like it wasn' t even there. Good luck on the plots. Keep us posted on how they' re going.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck,I just saw this the other day in my new Deer&Deer Hunting Mag,it' s called " Plot Saver" at www.plotsaver.com
I just read the article,might help you.