Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plots for next year?

Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Soilman
I am planning to use a fence similar to this one http://www.purplehull.com/Deer.htm but with a taller non-electric inner fence this year. I can't vouch for this working, but I think it has potential.

the deer can still jump in....they wont even touch that electric wire lol..and if they do they will never come back lol jmo.my dog only wore his collar fer 2 hours, he has never crossed that barrier again...i sold it to my bff as brand new lol ..he knows the story, and he sold it to his neighbor as brand new...the animals seem to pick up fast with that electric shock jmo ..i agree it will keep the cows out..

i was reading that if the deer nip the bud of a bean plant, it will not grow back or even grow a bean...so i am tryin to come up with a way to let the plants start with-out being nipped too soon.all i can think of is if it had a net over it..ie the chicken wire...and if it was raised 4" or so off the ground...and if the deer eat everything up before bow or rifle season..you can take the chicken wire off and lay it along side and have a few nice patches of heavy stuff.watcha think?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I know cows will go through chicken wire. I spent last week cussing at a herd of beefers that knocked down my chicken wire fence and ate some sensors. Ripped it off my t-posts when they scratched on them.

If you get good rain, the soybeans should grow more than 4 inches tall. The growing point is on the top of the plant for soybeans. I have seen soybeans almost 4 ft tall up here in the north.

I am lucky up here, there is plenty of good summer forage (clover and alfalfa). I am hoping to make getting into my soybeans difficult, so the deer go for the other feed. I will take the fence down before the opener, and spread some of the goodies out in the non-fenced part of the field to draw them in.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.barusa.com/tecomate/index.html

Anyone ever had any experience with this product? I mean, c'mon, its Jeff Foxworthy endorsing it, it has to be awesome! Errr....yeah, well, whatever, but....

There's a show they sponsor on Versus where they go to a ranch down south and shoot enormous, monster bucks so *if* it works, it ought to work on my ranch, being reasonably close to where they do this show.

First, I need to figure out where I'm gonna put it but I'll wait a few weeks after the season to start scouting.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Horacio
http://www.barusa.com/tecomate/index.html

Anyone ever had any experience with this product? I mean, c'mon, its Jeff Foxworthy endorsing it, it has to be awesome! Errr....yeah, well, whatever, but....

There's a show they sponsor on Versus where they go to a ranch down south and shoot enormous, monster bucks so *if* it works, it ought to work on my ranch, being reasonably close to where they do this show.

First, I need to figure out where I'm gonna put it but I'll wait a few weeks after the season to start scouting.

i have this stuff down right now (monster mix and max attract). i took soil samples and did my home work..soil test said i needed 13-13-13...i rented a gas powered pump to pump out of a creek and water it for the first 3-4 days..the seeds were cracking before we left... ...when the deer are not hitting the feeders they are on the plot and eatin acorns....i yet to harvest one from there but see just as many as deer as i did before the plot, just not having to fill those feeders anymore..hip hip hooray!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Spike

One other thing to strongly consider is make sure that you have a watering hole or two right near your plot. That will keep them around much more during the summer months if there isn't a good water source in the vicinity. My neighbor showed me the one he dug (not big...maybe 5-6' in diameter) about 15-20 yards from his plot and i couldn't believe all the tracks that there was. there is a small creek that runs through the back of our property, but that usually dries up mid to late June. Having water close by their food source really increased the activity.