Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plots

Old 11-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Spike

Default Food Plots

Now excuse me if there is already a post for food plots but I am new to this forum and to deer hunting.

The question I have is more specific than just what do they like.
I live in the country with about 150 acres of hardwoods directly behind my house. I have observed many deer moving through this area and have contacted the property owner to try to obtain hunting rights. The owner informed me that the rights were already leased and gave me the name to the folks that have it. I spoke to them and they do no want any more in their hunt club. They bow hunt only and there is only 3 of them. I can understand and respect those wishes....*crying*

Now the fun part. I have 1 3/4-2 acres driectly against the property line that I have plowed up into a garden. I have done this in hopes of luring some of that backstrap into my legal right to shoot. I don't want to interfer with the bow hunters as I wouldn't want it done to me. They don't hunt the area directly behind my house due to a boy scout summer camp there at the 7 acre pond. Which is why I intend to never hunt when they are present and only use a bow when I do.

I have planted Cabbage, rye, 2 types of clover, collards, basil, broccoli and turnips.
This is the only thing that I think will grow well this time of year and will allow the deer to develop. I obtained these plants in potted flats from the ACE hardware store for free. I run a landscaping buisness and do alot of purchasing through them. They gave these items to me for free so I said what the heck.. I'll give it a go.

Now my questions isn't the ethics behind my food plots... but will the deer consume these items when the acorns are gone?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Yep they will love most of it. Not sure about the basil, think it is a warm season herb, may be wrong. But will love the collards and such. The acorns are to put on fat for preparation of little food. Anything they like will pull them in if food get's scarce.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Spike

Not only will they eat it but they will taste awesome!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer love variety in their diets, it should be an attrative plot for some of your local whitetail. Good luck
Old 11-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like ya got it all mapped out..gl