Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Question about lime

Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about lime

I've never "limed" before and figure i probably need to next year. How is lime applied? Is it a pellet form? Liquid? Is it expensive? Thanks guys
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kdsberman
I've never "limed" before and figure i probably need to next year. How is lime applied? Is it a pellet form? Liquid? Is it expensive? Thanks guys

Lime can be in powder, liquid or pellet form. The powder form is the cheapest and best IMO, but it is very dusty and best spread with equipment designed for covering fairly large areas, two, three acres or more. Some co-ops have lime buggies that can be rented and there are custom applicators that will deliver and spread for you.

The pellet form is sometimes the small food plotters best choice. It is usually bagged and more easily handled, but can get expensive if you have a low PH that calls for up to 3 or 4 tons per acre.

Depending on how close to a quarry you are located will a lot of times determine the price. Where I'm located, the quarry is 6 miles away and I can get it delivered at dumped (i spread it) for $16 a ton.

Here a pic of how dusty powdered lime can be while spreading.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Never use liquid lime. You will pay to have tons of water sprayed, and get very little actual lime. Do not believe claims that "it acts faster because it is a liquid, so you need less."

Pelletized lime is fine if you have a small plot, but it is expensive relative to powdered lime. It is ground finer and does react faster, but you still need the same tonnage/acre.

MI is blessed with a lot of limestone & dolomite (the rock they crush to make lime). You should be able to find a decent supplier nearby, especially if you are in ag country. Haystack gave some good advice on spreading.

Get a soil test (MSU has a soil test lab; always use an in-state or bordering state lab), and apply lime to the reccomendation from the lab for the most sensitive crop you are planning to grow. For example, a soybean-corn-alfalfa rotation should be limed to a pH of about 7.0 for the most sensitve crop (alfalfa). Another option would be to pick your crops based on the pH of the soil. Liming should not be a major problem for you. Best of luck with the plots.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

If i only have 2 plots (about 1/4 acre each or so), and I dont want to have the spread by someone else, how can I go about doing it by myself? I do have an ATV if that can be used. Thanks guys
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Pelletized lime may be the way for you to go. It is more expensive, but can be spread from a fertilizer spreader. Work the lime into the soil as soon as you can after spreading (disk or plow). I would strongly suggest a soil test, since a $10 test could save you a lot in lime (good chance you may not need any lime).
Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Typical Buck

Around here lime is ...

$2.40 for 50 lbs of powdered

$3.10 for 40 lbs of pelleted

$40 per ton spread for you in bulk(4 ton minimum, or usually +/- 4 acres here, depending on soil test)

I dont have a have a spreader that big, not sure about the bulk price dumped here.

I am not familiar with your area and everywhere around the country has different soil, so take this with a BIG grain of salt.

For a total of a half acre that has never been limed, you are looking at (very rough estimate, do a soil test) needing about 1000 lbs of lime. I beleive that is about all you should put down at one time, if it needs more wait 6 months and apply the rest.

You could spread that with a ATV spreader if you get the pelleted lime, the powdered lime needs atleast some agitation to keep it from sticking to the hopper. Those small spreaders dont agitate powdered lime very well.

Last edited by hossdaniels; 09-10-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by kdsberman
If i only have 2 plots (about 1/4 acre each or so), and I dont want to have the spread by someone else, how can I go about doing it by myself? I do have an ATV if that can be used. Thanks guys

A spreader for your ATV sounds like the best option. And as mentioned, pelletized lime will work with that type of spreader and it could be used for broadcasting seed as well as fertilizer.

I have never used one, but this looks reasonably priced and has fairly good reviews.

I would definitely have a soil test done for a guide as to how much and what soil amendments your plots might need. Lime is one of the most critical amendments and worth every penny. Fertilizer and some sprays don't work as well without it and deer seem to favor limed plots and fields more IMO.

BTW, did you get a chance to plant those Eagle soybeans? if so how did they do, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did my 1/4 acre plot with pelletized lime with a fertilizer spreader. Pretty easy to do but I had to lay down 1,000 pounds so it took a while.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
A spreader for your ATV sounds like the best option. And as mentioned, pelletized lime will work with that type of spreader and it could be used for broadcasting seed as well as fertilizer.

I have never used one, but this looks reasonably priced and has fairly good reviews.

I would definitely have a soil test done for a guide as to how much and what soil amendments your plots might need. Lime is one of the most critical amendments and worth every penny. Fertilizer and some sprays don't work as well without it and deer seem to favor limed plots and fields more IMO.

BTW, did you get a chance to plant those Eagle soybeans? if so how did they do, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

Ya i planted them, but kinda got them in late (June). They grew pretty well, but am STILL waiting for the pods to grow on them. Michigan doesnt have a very long growing season so that might not work in my advantage for these.

I emailed Eagle Seed and asked them about this, but still have not received a reply (which kinda frustrates me).

But like they say, big leaves, tall, grow fast....thats definetly true.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
Lime can be in powder, liquid or pellet form. The powder form is the cheapest and best IMO, but it is very dusty and best spread with equipment designed for covering fairly large areas, two, three acres or more. Some co-ops have lime buggies that can be rented and there are custom applicators that will deliver and spread for you.

The pellet form is sometimes the small food plotters best choice. It is usually bagged and more easily handled, but can get expensive if you have a low PH that calls for up to 3 or 4 tons per acre.

Depending on how close to a quarry you are located will a lot of times determine the price. Where I'm located, the quarry is 6 miles away and I can get it delivered at dumped (i spread it) for $16 a ton.

Here a pic of how dusty powdered lime can be while spreading.

Haystack:
i always enjoy reading your replies on this forum,,,,your knowledge of food plots and farming in general is awesome! And you always add a pic ! for dummies like me,,,thats invaluable,,,leaves nothing to guess about. It amazes me the knowledge you can get from this website!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.