Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turnip Seed Mix

Old 09-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turnip Seed Mix

I am hoping all of you foodplot planters can give me some advice on some seed. Last year I planted Tecomate's Ultra Forage. The deer absolutely loved it. They picked the plot clean. This year money is a little bit tighter and I am looking to do a cheaper turnip plot. I thought I would ask you guys this so I don't look nearly as stupid in front of the guy at the seed store. What turnip seed or brassica seed should I ask for? We are only planting roughly 1/4 acre, so how much seed should I get?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

I have always planted the brassica seeds from my local co-op. Two of the most widely available in most places is Purple Top Turnip and Dwarf Essex Rape. Either one or a combination of the two works well.

1.5 pounds will plant a 1/4 acre, no more than 2#s total IMO. Both should be less than $4 a pound, maybe much less. PTT is $3.35 a pound and DER is $2.10 a pound around here.

It's gettin a little late for brassicas, you may want to consider Winter Rye, Oats or Winter Wheat to get the maximum amount of forage planting now.

25 to 50 pounds of the grains per 1/4 acre is sufficient. None should be more than $18.00 per 50 pounds, feed oats is $8 per 50#s here.

Last edited by haystack; 09-08-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I am a little late on it this year. If I can get it planted in the next week or so I think I will be good. For my area the plant dates run until September 15. I don't mind planting late because I planted the Ultra Forage too early and they hit hard before I got to hunt it. Winter wheat is another option I will look at if I can't get the turnips planted early enough. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Glad to help! Here is a list of some more brassica varieties you might find at you local feed/seed store. All work well for food plots.

Appin forage turnip
Barkant forage turnip
Barnapoli rape
Bonar rape
Pasja hybrid brassica
7 top turnip

And many more.

Macro Stubble Turnip
Kapai Turnip
Winfield Rape
N.Z. Green Globe Turnip
Sirius Turnip