Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Update on Turnip plot

Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Update on Turnip plot

Same small corner plot of purple-tops and seven-tops, planted on Aug. 8th. It curves back, down an old atv trail in the back, and one of my stands is 20 yards off of it, to the right. The turnips back there are still growing well with the filtered light, they just need a little extra fertilizer. I used a pole saw to let more light in down there today.

I am happy with the plot, just a little bare spot but I'm gonna let it go. Some nitrogen will to be added this week, especially around the edges where it seems there is some competition/lack of nitrogen, from the look of the tops. But no rain forcasted all week, so I'll hold out until a good rain. Other than that I think the little plot turned pretty good for my first attempt at brassicas. Definitely some growing time left for them. Early bow season is awesome in this little spot, but I want deer to stick around throughout December (they do not). Hopefully this will help, we'll see..

Its obvious some parts need nitrogen. I have 50 pounds left over, for when the next rain comes.

Size comparison pic.. Overall, this was a good learning experience, hoping to make a bigger brassica plot next year. I want to try Appin, Rape, and a couple other kinds.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Spike

Nice looking plot
Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Spike

Looks great!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

what's your secret, I've never seen plots look that good in such a short amount of time.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure, just a good amount of nitrogen. I spent a lot of time preparing the seedbed also.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

What brand did you use for these? Nice looking plot.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks great! Looks like they've been hitting it a little too...
Old 09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Spike

Ours never looked so good either, until we bought a rototiller for the tractor. PH and fert was perect, but until we had the right seedbed, ours looked terrible. Now it could be on the cover of one of the whitetail institute newsletters.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Ours never looked so good either, until we bought a rototiller for the tractor. PH and fert was perect, but until we had the right seedbed, ours looked terrible. Now it could be on the cover of one of the whitetail institute newsletters.
VaBow:
Im in the manassas area,,,,do i still have enough time to get a brassica plot in and have ample growing time,,,,,the seedbed is ready,,,,all i have to do is lime ,,,,it's a 1st year plot so im not expecting the best of the best!
Thanks for any help
Old 09-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Outdoorsman
What brand did you use for these? Nice looking plot.

Thanks.. No brand, just seed from my local seed/feed store. Purple tops and seven tops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.