Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Okay to herbicide and fertilize in the same day? >

Okay to herbicide and fertilize in the same day?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Okay to herbicide and fertilize in the same day?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Okay to herbicide and fertilize in the same day?

I'm heading out tomorrow to put the finishing touches on my plot before planting. We're going to weed it clean and then I'm going to spray the whole thing with High-Yield. Would it be okay for me to go ahead and broadcast the fertilizer right before/after I spray? Or should I wait a day or two?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also... would it be a bad idea to apply the herbicide if there's a chance of rain that day and the following day?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Do you know the active ingredient in high yield? I'm not familiar with that brand.

I think it should be fine, except you may give the weeds a jump on your intended crop. I'd wait just for that reason, but I dont think there is any kind of chemical compatibility problem or anything. It will probably speed up the kill of the target weed too.

Last edited by hossdaniels; 09-01-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
Do you know the active ingredient in high yield? I'm not familiar with that brand.

I think it should be fine, except you may give the weeds a jump on your intended crop. I'd wait just for that reason, but I dont think there is any kind of chemical compatibility problem or anything. It will probably speed up the kill of the target weed too.
It's High-Yield Killzall. The fella at the feed & seed told me it's the same as Round-Up.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I'm heading out tomorrow to put the finishing touches on my plot before planting. We're going to weed it clean and then I'm going to spray the whole thing with High-Yield. Would it be okay for me to go ahead and broadcast the fertilizer right before/after I spray? Or should I wait a day or two?
I would spread and till in the fertilizer right before planting. If you are not planning on tilling then spreading before or after would not make much difference, it's not going to affect the spray and the spray won't affect the fertilizer. I just wouldn't won't to walk through the wet spray on the weeds, while spreading the fertilizer.

Also... would it be a bad idea to apply the herbicide if there's a chance of rain that day and the following day?

As mentioned, if you are using Hi-Yield killzall which is a generic form of Glyphosate, 2 hours is all that's needed before it rains. If this is what you're using why would you weed it clean first?

EDIT: Reply was posted regarding Killzall while I was posting.

Last edited by haystack; 09-01-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
I would spread and till in the fertilizer right before planting. If you are not planning on tilling then spreading before or after would not make much difference, it's not going to affect the spray and the spray won't affect the fertilizer. I just wouldn't won't to walk through the wet spray on the weeds, while spreading the fertilizer.

As mentioned, if you are using Hi-Yield killzall which is a generic form of Glyphosate, 2 hours is all that's needed before it rains. If this is what you're using why would you weed it clean first?

EDIT: Reply was posted regarding Killzall while I was posting.
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to till again or not. I might do it right before I plant. I'm planting Biologic Shot Plot (2 bags for a 1/4 acre) and may just broadcast it before a heavy rain. It says on the bag that all it needs is soil contact to germinate.

I'm going to weed it clean because like a moron I didn't herbicide the plot again after I limed it and the weeds exploded. They're very tall and very thick based. 4 of us are going to go pull them all out and throw them off to the side. If I sprayed them the herbicide wouldn't reach the stuff at the bottom because of how tall and thick it is right now. And I don't want to mow or weed eat it because then it would all be on the soil I'm going to plant.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to till again or not. I might do it right before I plant. I'm planting Biologic Shot Plot (2 bags for a 1/4 acre) and may just broadcast it before a heavy rain. It says on the bag that all it needs is soil contact to germinate.

I'm going to weed it clean because like a moron I didn't herbicide the plot again after I limed it and the weeds exploded. They're very tall and very thick based. 4 of us are going to go pull them all out and throw them off to the side. If I sprayed them the herbicide wouldn't reach the stuff at the bottom because of how tall and thick it is right now. And I don't want to mow or weed eat it because then it would all be on the soil I'm going to plant.
If you dont till again, make sure you have good soil contact. I use a drill, but few folks are lucky enough to have one. A cultipacker should work OK, but a drag might not do a good job. Make sure that you have a clean seed bed(i.e. not laying on top of a bed of dead crabgrass) if you are broadcasting the seed.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
If you dont till again, make sure you have good soil contact. I use a drill, but few folks are lucky enough to have one. A cultipacker should work OK, but a drag might not do a good job. Make sure that you have a clean seed bed(i.e. not laying on top of a bed of dead crabgrass) if you are broadcasting the seed.
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably end up tilling it again and then broadcast the seed immediately afterward.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

If Shot Plot is what you are planting,( it's sold by another company by the way) then I would think 1 bag would be a plenty.

What I've seen comes in a 2.5# bag, that plants a .5 acre. Regardless of what brand, if it's brassicas your planting, turnips, rape etc. a little seed goes a long way and you don't want it to thick.

If the plot you're talking about is the one with the sicklepod/coffeweed, then you must have some awful good friends is all I can say lol. That will be a job but I believe pulling by hand will be best option. And I would guess by the time they are all pulled, it's going to look like your plot has been tilled.

Brassicas are very easy to grow if that's what you're planting. Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the advice fellas! It helps a lot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.